What To Buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deeptubes, Feb 9, 2013.

What would you spend the money on?

1. Moses fretless neck

10 vote(s)
    10.2%
  2. T-40

19 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. J Plus

17 vote(s)
    17.3%
  4. Other (please explain)

12 vote(s)
    12.2%
  5. Carrots!

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  6. GLAZED Carrots!!!!

36 vote(s)
    36.7%
  1. deeptubes

deeptubes

Getting some money to play with from our tax return. I'm kicking around a couple of ideas, maybe more.

Option 1: I have a Fender HM that was described as having "a TON of mojo". In other words, it was kind of beat up - large chips in the paint, gouges in the body, headstock had split through all 4 tuner pegs and was repaired. I refinished the body and painted it in a silverburst. Also swapped out the black hardware for chrome. I want to swap the neck with a Moses solid graphite fretless.

Option 2: Been GASing for a Peavey T-40 for some time. Just something about that bass that is calling out to me. I can handle the weight. Love the natural with the black pickguard.

Option 3: Been GASing for a Fender Jazz Plus. Technically, the HM isn't a J, even though it is. I don't like the mismatch of the J control plate and the pickguard. The J Plus doesn't have either, problem solved. I'm partial to active basses, and it has a Kubicki pre. I'm also a huge fan of not-so-ordinary Fenders.

So, what do you think? T-40s aren't hard to find and the price is fairly stable, so I can put that on the back burner with no concern. I'm torn between the new neck and the J plus. I think the black fretless neck on the silverburst would look freakishly awesome. The J Plus will cost a little more, but this is essentially bonus money. I won't miss it.

2. bass_cheeks1990

bass_cheeks1990

It sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into getting option three. Go get it sir! You'll be happy you did.

3. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

If you do go for the Moses neck, get an unlined one.

4. deeptubes

deeptubes

LINES?! I don't need no stinkin' lines! :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Media:
    Dingwall Afterburner I... GAS uncontrolled

7. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

Those T40's are heavy
    go light
    a Fender P lyte that is

8. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

If you don't mind the weight then I would go for the T-40. They are great, underrated basses with a nice variety of tones.

9. bass32

bass32

Bought a a '92 Jazz Plus new and just sold it last year. Kind of kicking myself. It was a really good bass. If you find a good one at the right price.......go for it.

10. gumbynotpokey

gumbynotpokey

Check out the Carvin website!
    :hyper:

11. Immigrant

Immigrant

I had to vote "other" even though I really like glazed carrots.

I wouldn't be able to bring myself to put any money into a Fender HM especially one that has issues that bug me (and you). The body would have to be immaculate and even then I would question it.

If you're patient, you can get a decent T-40 for a lot less than a Moses neck. Don't they cost as much as a T-1000?

Other = a US G&L L2000 to me. Active (or passive!) and generally flawless. I don't remember ever seeing a thread about a new one arriving defective, as is the case with just about every other brand out there. I have a 22 year old L2K and it's as solid and playable as it was day one.

12. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

13. deeptubes

deeptubes

The neck would be about $430. The only issue with the HM is the repaired split in the headstock, which the new neck would solve. The body is now tight. However, I probably should have chosen a more simple color scheme for my first real refinish. I'll eventually have to re-do it. Only did 2 thin coats of lacquer with that in mind. I have a VERY cheap fretless, and I'm itching for a good sounding, playable fretless. I think the HM and Moses would go together like pb&j. And, they're virtually bulletproof.

14. deeptubes

deeptubes

$600-$800

15. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Dumping $430 into a bass that will be worth $230 when you're done with it is a bad idea. There are boatloads of T-40's floating around out there. The Jazz Plus is the way to go.

16. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

17. deeptubes

deeptubes

New development! I owed the state some back taxes and overpaid them by about $1200. I appears I may be able to do all 3!!! Will update again as it progresses.
    *fingers crossed*