1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What to choose - TC classic 450 vs. Aguilar TH350

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by kristianbl, Dec 13, 2012.

1. kristianbl

kristianbl

I am currently playing over an Aguilar AG500SC amp with two Barefaced Bass cabs - a compact (1x15) and a midget (1x12).

The bass I am playing is a Fender P reissue 62.

I am very pleased with both bass and cabs, but I am not sure about the amp.

The amps sound a bit to "clean" for my taste.

I considering to get rid of it and buy a light weight amp instead.

But what to choose?
    I am currently leaning towards a TC classic 450 or a Aguilar Th350.

Anyone who can help my out on this one?

Best regards
    Kristian.
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

My vote would be for the Tone Hammer 500.

Best case is to take your cab and bass down and demo a few amps.
  3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Those two amps are somewhat similar. VERY mid warm and punchy, with a bit of midrange character (i.e., mild distortion) kind of built in.

The Aguilar will extend both higher and lower but still will be warm and a bit grunty. I owned the RH450 (basically the classic with a bunch more features) and I currently have the TH500. I greatly prefer the TH500... less compressed sounding (i.e., that bigger low end) but still warm and grunty.

The Aguilar is 'loud for its rating' (as is the TC RH450). I would save your pennies and get the TH500 myself. That bit more headroom will give you an even more open, fat low end, and comes in VERY handy if you are running the head at 8ohms.

Both good choices though.
  4. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Given your choices, I would go with the Aguilar Tone Hammer. Depending on the pricing in DK, I'd agree with Ken & CL4P to go for the TH500 instead of the 350 if the additional $$ is not crazy.

BTW, I currently own both an Aguilar AG500 and a Classic 450, but I just bought a TH500. Today, actually. In with the TH500, out with the Classic 450. Nothing against the Classic, but the TH500 should offer more tonal variety, plus it's about half the weight.