What to choose?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by thebassbuilder, Mar 28, 2014.

?

Which to choose

1. GK MB 115

30 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. GK MB 112

16 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. DIY Faital pro 10fe200 1x10 cab and GK MB200

8 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Go buy a bag of carrots

46 vote(s)
    46.0%
  1. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    I am about to buy or build a new rig. This rig will only be for bedroom/studio. I no longer jam or in a band, so volume is not the issue (even though I like to practice with some volume) but versatility is. I am looking at 3 options

1. Gk mb115ii

2. GK MB112ii

3. DIY cab 1x10 Faital pro 10fe200 with GK MB200

The only one I have ever played is the mb115 and it blew me away. I have not played the mb112 and worry about it not having a tweeter for slap tone, or the extra amp options the 115 has? The DIY 110 based recommendations. Let me know what you think.
  2. DannyBob

DannyBob

Normally, I would say go for a 1x12 over a 1x15 if you want a well rounded tone which isn't 'that' muddy. However, I find a 1x15 with tweeter a much nicer tone than a 1x12
  3. TLJordan19

TLJordan19 Supporting Member

GK MB12 does not have a horn for highs.
  4. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    This is the one thing I worry about the most or I would probably buy it with out trying. I wish someone would chime in and say if it needs a tweet or not for getting a hi-fi slap sound or if there is enough room to add one if needed.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

FWIW: I think the GK MB112-II sounds great and I have the horn turned off on my GK MB115 too.
  7. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr

I voted for the carrots.
  8. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

You realize that with a post like this all you really get are other peoples opinions when the only one that really counts is yours.

The MB200 should really be matched with a 210 version of the the 10FE200 cab. Said cab would be smaller than either of the combos, but would play louder (though not important for bedroom practice use). The question remains: which tone would you prefer. Maybe get the MB200 and use it with the 115 you are building. Build something else later on, like the Faital 210 +/- tweeter.
  9. hopturn

hopturn

Phil Jones Briefcase. Great preamp. Versatile as the day is long. Can be used without a power source.
  10. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

Similar in size and weight to the GK amps is the Carvin MB series. They sound great, can get plenty loud and have tons of tone shaping possibilities. the M10 goes for about 300$ and the MB 12 or 15 are around 350. It has a headphone jack, and you can add an ext cab, although you probably don't need one for your needs. Check out the thread about the Carvin Microbass for more info.
  11. db4124

db4124

MB-200 for sure. Awesome tone. I tried it with every small cab I could find from 1x10, 2x10, 1x12. Many were affordable and many were outside my price range. For pure tone at lower volume, I found the Eden EX112 was the sound I liked the best. It is inexpensive ($250) to boot. I even preferred it over some of the $800 boutique cabs. I am not a pro and don't play at high volume so your experience and preference may be very different, but I think the Eden is worth a listen. I was pleasantly surprised.
  12. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

FWIW, I have the MB115 and I always have the tweeter turned off. It produces too much hiss. But I'm an avid slapper, and I find I get plenty of top end without the tweeter.
  13. og61pbass

og61pbass

I say get the 112 its perfect for home because of its small and light footprint but yet is very good in a small room with a full band,The amp sounds great without a tweeter and i play all styles,the highs still cut through pretty good just takes some tweeking of the controls on the amp and your tone knob on the bass,I also have the tweeter on my Avatar 410 turned way down...:)
  14. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    Thanks for the info. I was hoping someone that had one would chime in. Now I wonder if GC would order one and let me try it out or would I have to buy to try if they do not have it stock. Looking at the speaker placement of the 12 do you think there is enough room to add a tweeter if I ever wanted to add one?
  15. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

No, but I really don't think it needs one. However, if you're dead set on having a tweeter, the MB115-II has one.
  16. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

You could buy from GC and if you do not like it you can return it within 30 days for a full refund. Return shipping may cost you a bit though.
  17. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    Can someone tell how they think the mb112 compares tone wise to the mb115?
  18. Schimmy

Schimmy

Since carrot bag is on it's way to victory, might as well grab two, for extra 3db of carrotness.
  19. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    I think you may be right. Where is all the love for the GK combos?
  20. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    The Faital runs bright enough you might not need the tweeter unles you want a lot of air or sparkle on your slap tone. The tweet would be an easy add-on.

Single 10 won't go very loud or handle a large amount of power, I'd use 2 of them. Cab could still be fairly compact/light weight.

Haven't heard the MB combos, though they are making them more solid than the early ones now.
  21. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I think if you are interested in GK combos, they are readily available. Go out and play one, your ears will let you know.