1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What to do if you recognize a stolen bass in an online sale?

Discussion in 'Lost & Stolen Gear' started by billgwx, Feb 26, 2012.

1. billgwx

billgwx Supporting Member

I've been watching the various online selling forums for a bass that was stolen from my car about 20 years ago. Think I may have finally come across it, and will be searching my personal records at home ASAP to see if I recorded the serial number or if I still have a purchase receipt with the serial number. That and perhaps a police report from way back when are the only documentation I can could drum up--wonder if there's anything else I can really do to retrieve it? Thanks...

2. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

Do you have any pics of the bass from 20 years ago with distinguishable marks that could identify the bass?

3. billgwx

billgwx Supporting Member

None at home, but a friend may actually have photos or video that might help identify it. Long shot but I may give that a try.

4. john grey

john grey

20 yrs is a very long time. LARGE PD and sheriff's dept might computerize items description but back then it was very likely on a diskette and a DOS machine. Most likely it would be on paper and in storage (if it still is available).
    You possibly need an "inside track" who is willing to go the extra mile for you AND you may need to open a whole new report with pictures, receipt, serial #, and another individual willing to verify the theft (if no store still exists, etc). Po;ice reports on non-felony thefts 20 yrs back are often VERY tough to get. It would be a "favor to go through cartons of material. IF the Bass is a multi-thousand dollar instrument, someone MAY hunt it down for you - IF you have all you information available and a person with a desk job has the time and WANTS to put in the level of hunting necessary. Someone with an injury etc, might want to do it if it's laid out with all the info.

best of luck

5. Register to disable this ad