1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What to do in Toronto?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, Dec 3, 2012.

1. tplyons

tplyons

I'm up in Toronto this weekend supporting my business's Canadian division. I'm traveling alone this time so I'd like to do some sightseeing instead of the usual dinner and drinks.

What's there to see in Toronto in the evenings? I'm flying in Friday evening and am leaving Sunday evening.

If it helps, I'll be downtown by Rogers Centre.
  2. fraublugher

fraublugher

3. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Gold Supporting Member

PM BassGen and ask him for the big list of things to do. He lives up there and is good people. Tell him Tat sent you. And don't forget to go to Club Bass Canada. Very nice small bass shop with nice instruments.
  4. Fishheadjoe

Fishheadjoe

I'd be glad to suggest some things, there's tons to do!
    Narrow down your interests, and I'll be happy to help.
    Fishheadjoe
  5. Relic

Relic Cow are you? Supporting Member

girls

/thread
  6. Richland123

Richland123

There are always tons of cool things to do in Toronto. Check out this website for some ideas.

http://www.toronto.com/

There are lots of things going on. Here are a few concerts.

The Dave Matthews Band, Ian Hunter, The Blind Boyd Of Alabama are all in concert Friday.

The Trews in concert Saturday.

Carrie Underwood in concert Sunday.
  7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler

You have the touristy stuff you can do ;

- CN Tower (have a meal there, too)
    - Distillery District (have another meal there too while sampling the local beer)
    - ROM (Royal Ontario Museum)
    - Music store right in front of the ROM (forgot the name)

There's lots more, I'm sure. ;)
  8. tplyons

tplyons

To be honest, since it's only one or MAYBE two evenings, the local touristy stuff will do. Little hole in the wall restaurants too.

Can I get any good poutine downtown?
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The bowling is good there.
  10. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Kensington market, get a bite in Chinatown, visit capsule music or 12th Fret.

If you had more time I'd say the best thing to do in TO is get a flight to Montreal, heh heh.
  11. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Head over to the distillery district, find the Mill Street Brewery and grab a meal (the have a great pub as well). Make sure you get a taxi, or that public transit back, they have the best beer I have ever had.

lowsound
  12. Fishheadjoe

Fishheadjoe

Since you are going to be downtown, yes, the CN Tower, the Skydome tour, Harbour Front, China Town, Kensington Market, Steve's Music store, Club Bass, The Distillary District and tons of bars and restaurants...
    Fishheadjoe
  13. hover

hover

Sure can, just be sure to "wrap it". ;)
  14. KCLRbass

KCLRbass Supporting Member

Food:
    Pizza - Libretto (221 Ossington Ave)
    Indian - Banjara (796 Bloor St. W.)
    Beer - Smokeless Joe (488 College St.)
    More beer - Rhino (1249 Queen St. W.)
    Slightly upscale - Reds (77 Adelaide St. W.)
    More Slightly upscale, featuring Canadian wine - Frank at AGO (317 Dundas St. W.)
    Funky retro modern - Museum Tavern (208 Bloor St. W.)
    Let me know if you need more.

Music Shops
    Capsule Music
    Paul's Boutique
    12th Fret

Wandering Around
    - Queen St. West from Ossington to Yonge will give you a pretty cool idea of how downtown started grimy and ended up gentrified.
    - University of Toronto downtown campus has a lot of great old buildings and parks
    - Someone mentioned the distillery district, which is awesome!
    - If you're right by the Rogers Center, you should take an hour and do the Steamwhistle Brewery tour at the old Roundhouse
    - Cabbagetown/Riverdale Park/Don Valley is, I think, an under-appreciated area of the city.

Would definitely recommend the ROM and AGO if you like the museum type stuff. Toronto Zoo is amazing if you're willing to take a long trek out into the suburbs.

Could go on and on. Some really good suggestions from others too!

Also, feel free to PM me if you want to be in touch while you're here.
  15. Fishheadjoe

Fishheadjoe

Just a word re The 12th Fret... it a great shop, if you are a guitar player, but IMHO, there is little to no bass presence there, other than a very small room with what may amount to 20 basses and a few small amps.
    If however, you would like to see guitars, old and new, electric or acoustic, then it's a great place.
    Again, JMHO
    Fishheadjoe
  16. capnjim

capnjim

Get the hell out as fast as you can and drive like crazy down to Montreal.
  17. corndog

corndog

tKC beat me to it, Steam Whistle Brewery, just south of the Rogers Centre, I've never done the tour, but the beer is outstanding, one of the best I tried.

A five minute walk north will get you to Gretzkys Restaurant, not bad for lunch or dinner.

You are also close to the Theatre District on King, countless restaurants and bars. A little north of that is Queen West, another great spot for bars a restaurants, and people watching. Not far to the east is the Eaton Centre for shopping and Yonge Street.

Chinatown is great for a walk and Steve's Music to check out a local well known shop.

The CN Tower is a must do, yup its a tourist spot, but pretty cool and if your into hockey, the Hockey Hall of Fame. If you get a chance, get over to the St Lawrence Market, you can grab a coffee and muffin for breakfast and check out the local fish mongers.

Have fun, you hotel is in a great spot.
  18. recreate.me

recreate.me

Toronto is great!

For site seeing, you need to go up the CN tower and walk the glass floor room. If you can, go to the eatons center mall, then from there you can head down to Queen Street and walk that strip if its nice out and there are loads of shops and vintage places and towards the end you can hit capsule music for some awesome instruments.

You can look what bands are playing at Rancho Relaxo (these would be not yet to famous localish bands but some can be really great)
  19. Anthbass

Anthbass

My 2 cents: skip the tower, the zoo, and all that jazz, and focus on eating, drinking, and music.

To that end:
    -hit up the Orbit Room (as suggested by fraublugher) and The Rex (fer some jazz).

-Get yourself over to Queen West and have some poutine at Smoke's or Poutini's (neither touches what is available in Montreal, but then, you ain't gonna be in Montreal).

-Take the streetcar back and meander down to C'est What, a Quebecois-style brew pub on Front Street. Enjoy some beer there, of the the sort that Mill Street wishes they could produce.

-Feeling Carribean? Have a roti at Tasty's on Elm.

-Chinese/Vietnamese/Korean food? Chinatown, baby. Cheap beer there, too, plus lots of derelict types hanging out near Kensington Market.

Enjoy TO.
  20. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member