What to Do with a Bass I Can't Get a Part For?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jaywa, Jan 26, 2013.

1. jaywa

jaywa

I've got an Ibanez BTB 4-string that I bought off eBay about 3 years ago. Last year the midrange pot crapped out and I literally have been waiting a year for that part to come from the factory (it's a proprietary part to Ibanez... can't just be bought from an aftermarket place).

Do you think I should keep hanging in there trying to get the part (while my bass sits in its case useless), or should I try and sell the bass "as-is" and let the next buyer deal with the parts issue (or just part-out the rest of it)?

By way of background I bought this bass to be my backup and give me some other tonal options I can't get out of my main player (78 P-Bass). It's in good condition and while it sounds pretty good and I like the light weight (compared to my Precision), it's not a bass I've ever really fallen in love with. Considering I haven't really needed it this whole time it's been on the shelf, it wouldn't kill me to let it go but I'd feel a little weird selling something that's not in playable condition and I'm guessing I'd pretty much have to give it away price-wise even if I was able to find a buyer.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
  2. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

You could put a different pre amp in it like a Aggie, Bart or Audere.
    Or would that be cost prohibited?
  3. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I know this isn't your situation, but it made me think... If I ever had a bass where the bridge was determined to be beyond repair, I'd probably replace it with a Kahler tremolo system.
  4. jaywa

jaywa

That's an interesting idea. If I knew for sure I was gonna keep the bass it might be worth it since I only paid $300 for it to begin with. I'm not sure I love the bass enough to make that kind of investment though. Actually was hoping to only put in as much money as the midrange pot cost and then probably put it on the market.
  5. gurensan

gurensan

What type of pot is it?
  6. Meddle

Meddle

I'm sure Ibanez use standard parts for basses. They will tell you you need to buy a specific pot, but then every effects pedal company says you have to use the 'approved' power supply (which is usually overpriced and noisy). RIckenbacker (and their fans) are worse. Honestly, they put a single 0.057uF capacitor in series with the bridge pickup to cut some bass frequencies and you have to pay through the absolute nostrils for a proper Rickenbacker wiring harness because apparently you would never be able to make your own with other parts.

Ignore the hype. Maybe use this as a chance to change the preamp, but if you like the stock BTB preamp then try and get a normal pot for it.
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Did you contact Ibanez or your local dealer? If it was me I would go into my local dealer and pester them every week until I got the specific part I am looking for. A dealer tends to have more pull, especially if they have a good sales rep.