What to do with a neutered Ampeg SST cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Goatrope, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Goatrope

Goatrope

I got this cabinet when I was a mere piker back in the mid 70s. It was a 4x12 and I used it as a bass cabinet for my V4B of that era. I didn't know what I had, so in a moment of genius, I removed the cabinets internal electronics and replaced with an aluminum plate.

I stopped using it in the 80s and it's basically sat in a room ever since.

Now that I've got all this modern cool lightweight gear, I was wondering what the heck to do with this thing. Do you think it's worth finding a more modern 4x12 cab with blown speakers and doing a swap? Maybe sell the speakers? Find someone with a sentimental heart for the old SST?

I don't know anything about building cabs but this SST cab has Altec Lansing something or others in it. It still weighs a ton and not likely to use this thing in its current form.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Thanks for any comments!

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If the cabinet is hosting Altecs, nothing you do will make it any lighter. i'm unsure of what you actually did to the cabinet - the metal plate bit especially.

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

It's a cool cabinet. Here is some info on it. Check out this King Curtis video with Jerry Jemmott on bass. I believe he was playing through an SBT with 215 cabs. Same series as the SST.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Goatrope

Goatrope

Thanks for the replies!

Like Beansy posted, it was part of a set. A solid state amp, with I suppose the preamp in the head and the power amp inside the cabinet. I took out what ever it was that was in the cabinet. I guess it was a power amp, and replaced it with a metal panel with a 1/4 jack for the speakers.

Yeah, it still weighs a ton. It never was a very loud setup when I used it with my V4B. I had no idea how to use equipment back then. I lugged that beast around town and up and down stairs so many times back in the day. I'm a little smarter now. Very little.

We are certainly living in the golden age of bass amplification right now.

Maybe I'll give it a run on Craig's list to see if any aspiring weight-lifter bassists have interest. :p

5. Register to disable this ad