1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What to do with extra pot?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BackToBassics90, Aug 2, 2013.

1. BackToBassics90

BackToBassics90

Hey guys,

First time posting here since I couldn't find anything through the search. Basically, I'm changing out the electronics on my Schecter Stiletto 4, where the preamp only utilizes three of the four holes drilled into the bass. I though I could just leave one of the old pots, not soldered to anything, and etch on it the "Suck Knob" as a joke... but then thought maybe it could function as SOMETHING... any thoughts?

I'm gonna try for the EMG BTC System: http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/137/146/4

I'm thinking of also going for the 35DC in the neck/35CS for the bridge if that helps any.

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks,
    Chris
  2. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

I read here somewhere that Lee Sklar kept an un-connected knob he called "The Producer's Knob." When the producer would complain about something or another, Lee would turn the knob a bit, play a few notes, and ask "How's that?" Invariably - it was fine then ...
  3. Up the dose

Up the dose Supporting Member

The title of your post led me to believe this thread would be going in a different sort of direction. Oh well.
  4. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

You could replace the last pot with a push/pull knob, to switch between active and passive but also use it as a tone or blend pot for passive use.
  5. Emibass

Emibass

or a kill switch
  6. sxride

sxride

- not sure what pickups you're using, but a you can place a toggle switch there for series / parallel ....
    - you can also place a battery (level) indicator LED light.

... you may have to use a (black/chrome) washer for either, since I would assume that diameter would be a bit too big for an LED or mini toggle.
  7. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh! Supporting Member

I was gonna say ...

My address is ..............
  8. BackToBassics90

BackToBassics90

Yeah I re-read that too... I guess you won't be.. Upping your dose this morning (hardy har), at least not for free.
  9. BackToBassics90

BackToBassics90

But I don't think I would want a passive sound on this bass, I love my jazz bass for passive. A kill switch might be cool though.
  10. BackToBassics90

BackToBassics90

This one seems the easiest to do so far.
  11. BackToBassics90

BackToBassics90

AHHHH Now that is interesting. How would that be done?

The battery indicator I mean
  12. BackToBassics90

BackToBassics90

Honestly, this sounds like the best option. I don't NEED anything else and its not worth trying to add excess crap to drain the battery even more.
  13. ArtechnikA

Now that you bring it up, if I had a place for it, I'd install a power switch. PITA to unplug all the time just to keep the preamp powered down... If my basses lived in cases it would be one thing, but pretty much, they live out in the open on stands...
  14. line6man

line6man

Passive tone control.
  15. BackToBassics90

BackToBassics90

I think that's a great idea, I have a tendency to leave the dang cable plugged in and a switch would be very helpful.
  16. Freez

Freez

there is no such thing as extra pot. it's a myth; like extra money...
  17. Ronbassman

Ronbassman

I like the series/parallel idea. More options at your disposal.
  18. ex-tension

ex-tension

If there isn't a special reason for using 'BTC System' you can use 'BTS System' instead. In 'BTS Control' page it says: "The BTS Control is essentially the same as the BTC Control but instead of a concentric pot, the controls are separate."

Please see this thread about it:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/john-east-2-band-mmsr-preamp-my-nrtb5-987067/
  19. ArtechnikA

OK - I did - but I don't know what point you're making.
    That it will pop if I switch it off with the amp on?
    I already have to turn the volumes down (and usually switch off the amp) when I unplug.

If you were making a different point, let me know because I missed it.
  20. ex-tension

ex-tension

You're right, I was pointing out the pop issue.
    As I said in that thread, it's possible if the volume pot is at the output of the preamp.
    But still not a good idea (or worth the risk) if you ask me. Imagine flipping that switch while the bass is connected to a big, live PA system.