What to do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BCB50, Dec 28, 2013.

1. BCB50

BCB50

In March each year I get my annual bonus. So I have been looking for bass #2. Trying not to incur the wrath of her who makes my dinner I had pretty much decided on this...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-FSR-Standard-J-Bass-102571049-i1149721.gc

We watched a video on the Jazz bass and it went full circle to Leo at G&L and the Jazz was the last guitar he worked on. So she suggested I get this.....

http://www.guitarcenter.com/G-L-JB-2-4-String-Bass-511303-i1146836.gc

Trying to figure out if I am being a (you fill it in) if I took her up on it. She said get it if you want it if it is better.
  2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

If I were in the market for a Jazz I'd get the Jazz. That said I've always liked G&L basses, so despite the price difference I don't see how you could go wrong.
  3. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

G&L, especially USA models are excellent. You really cant go wrong with one. Everything leo designed at fender (J and P) Musicman (stingray) and G&L (lots of stuff) is pretty much great gear.
  4. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

wow they been making that fender special run for like 7 years now!

The American G&L is much better then the MIM Fender.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog Supporting Member

If those are your only two choices then obviously buy the G&L.

If you want to compare apples to apples, replace that MIM with this and compare it to the G&L. Maybe a little tougher choice....or maybe not.
  7. BCB50

BCB50

I just look at the JB 2 as the next step Leo took with the Jazz.

It just doesn't say Jazz Bass on it or have CBS fretboard binding either like my 75.
  8. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

I have both Fender MIA and G&L basses. I find the G&L basses to be superior instruments. Also, you can customize your bass without paying through the nose. I would get the G&L in a heartbeat.
  9. Warhawk

Warhawk

If money is not an issue get the US G&L. You'll never regret it. If it is, look at the G&L Tribute models. The Fender will be nice but the Tributes are pretty much equal to a MIM Fender, in my opinion.
  10. Dudaronamous

Dudaronamous Supporting Member Supporting Member

Is a pre-owned G&L an option? Could save you some $$$.
  11. BCB50

BCB50

Money won't be an issue. Just three months of GAS. I have a early '75 Jazz so I am leaning towards the G&L.
  12. BCB50

BCB50

My '75 was pre-owned. I find the right G&L it is always an option. Not to concerned about the coin. It will go on a bass or a bill.:meh:
  13. bassbenj

bassbenj

First off, you didn't say what your bass #1 was. It's important because it relates to what you want bass #2 to do. For me bass #2 is a backup and to cover slightly different territory than bass #1.

Where this is going is whether or not a Fender shaped headstock is important to you. If it is then only a real Fender will do.

Both are ash bodies and both are hummy single coil jazz pickups so there is no choice there.

But in the Fender reviews, you may have read people replacing the bent metal cheapo bridge. Well the G&L has already done that and replaced the tuners with light weight ones as well. So in comparing costs then you have to add replacement bridge and tuners to the Fender base price to make them equal. That puts them closer together.

Another difference is the neck profile which is the Fender Jazz profile (which I don't like so much) with the G&L chunkier profile (unless you order a different neck). I happen to be a G&L fanboi so I love their necks, but that may not be you.

And lastly, In spite of cases of G&L basses shipped back to have things fixed, generally speaking a USA G&L will have fit and finish absolutely top end compared to a MIM Fender which tend to be somewhat variable. This is also reflected in the price.

So my opinion is that if your #1 bass is a MIA Fender P-bass or something then the MIM Fender Jazz in ash gives a nice change of pace that is still sort of the same. But if you want to stick a toe into a slightly more modern world and don't care if people start asking "why didn't you bring your Fender bass?" then the G&L is basically the way Leo would be building jazz basses today, not the way he did back then.

On the other hand if you #1 bass is an active Alembic or something, then the Fender is a nice step back into authentic old school. The G&L is likewise, but just not a step back as far.

We can't decide this for you. Hell, if it were me, I'd go buy a G&L M2000 instead of either. Who needs single coil hum? But then I am a big G&L fanboi.
  14. msact

Here is a fun link. It shows all the options on G&L basses. All dealers will give at least 25% off the retail prices, so don't let that scare you off. I got a couple of custom basses through Rocket Music. They will take 25% of the price plus an additional 5% if you mention you are a TBer.

http://www.americanguitarboutique.net/Bass_index.html
  15. Warhawk

Warhawk

16. BCB50

BCB50

My #1 is a early 75 Jazz. The only part of it that is probably 75 besides the serial number is the body. Everything else that can be dated is pre 75. So a typical Fender transition year / clean the assembly line model. Good bass though.

For me #2 is because I want something different than what I have. The MIM with new bridge, case, pickups, and a few other odds and ends I can make happen for between 7 and 8 about 450 less than the G&L.
  17. BCB50

BCB50

Thanks I will be spending some time there.
  18. BCB50

BCB50

Kinda the way I am leaning. Just trying to find one that isn't clear blue.
  19. msact

Just order one in a different color. It won't cost anymore. It might take a couple of months to get it, but it's worth it in the long run.
  20. BCB50

BCB50

That's what I figured. I like to see the wood. So will probably order natural. It will match my '75.
  21. BCB50

BCB50

This was the other option she suggested. Because it would come out slightly cheaper than the G&L, I would have a bigger amp in the house, But the parts that need replacing would be on hold for a few months.

Orange Crush PiX Bass CR100BXT 100W Amp
    Fender FSR Standard J Bass
    Fender Pro Series P/J Bass Guitar Case