What to expect from a bass teacher

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by elennare, Aug 20, 2013.

1. elennare

elennare

I'm starting to think about getting some private lessons to start with properly with the bass (level: noob). What do you suggest should expect/get from a real decent bass teacher?

Some music theory is in order, maybe. Score reading could be a plus but it's something i can do on my own in the future (I have some minor musical background).

What else you suggest? :)

Thanks in advance!

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

A good teacher should be able to plot a reasonable course of action to get you from where you are to where you need to be.
    A good teacher should be able to direct you away from things that will waste your time.

A good student has a goal, and does not expect motivation to come from the teacher.
    A good student is ALWAYS prepared for lessons.

3. RandomBox

RandomBox

Just make sure the teacher knows what he is doing.

My parents signed me up for bass lessons when I was 13 and the guy was mainly a guitar teacher (he taught my brother). All he did as teach me one scale, learn tab, and then get me into playing simple songs. Never any notation, or theory, or technical info.

So here I am 3 years later still only able to read tab.

4. lyla1953

lyla1953 Supporting Member

Try and find someone who is formally trained, possibly also teaches at a local college/university as well as private lessons, their main instrument is bass and gigs as well.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    Always get a referral from someone you trust. A good teacher is worth their weight in gold. A bad teacher can suck the fun out of playing. Not to say that practice is all fun and games, but lessons should be set up to help you achieve your goals.

7. jeffbonny

jeffbonny Gold Supporting Member

The teacher/student relationship is such a personal thing it's hard to give specific advice on what to look for. I've had two different kinds of really great experiences with teachers. One is going in for a series of regular lessons and doing everything they ask you to do the way they ask you to do it. Often a teacher will see things about your playing that you don't and you need to trust him. Once you commit to a teacher you can't be second guessing 'em.

The other kind that will probably be more appropriate as you get more accomplished is the single lesson to address a specific area you want to improve.

There's so much to learn and so many ways to get there the only real sin a teacher can commit is to leave you feeling short changed. From my first lessons with Rene Worst, Tom Hazlitt and Rick Kilburn through later ones with some pretty big name players I've always found teachers who inspired me. This has meant anything from a crappy bus ride way across town to a ten hour round trip drive. I've never felt short changed by any of these teachers.

8. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    word of mouth, bass player not a guitar player, working gigging professional,one who listens and understands you and what you want to get out of it, will teach theory, reading skills, finger exercise permutuations but will also sit down with you and show you some licks as well. The important thing is you want to get a balance of theory as well as instruction from a person who is a real player, not just some geek with theory knowledge and drills to give you and is still an average player himself. I think we all need several teachers to take lessons from. The theory guru, the gear guru, the drill sergeant, and that one crazy azz who is just a phenominal player.

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Ask the teacher if they know their intervals, chord tones, and can understand how to read a time signature. Odds are if they are familiar with those concepts you can expect a solid educator, at the least an educated one.

10. elennare

elennare

Wow, thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Looks like a difficult task and somewhat very personal. Anyway, I agree with all those who go for a balanced teacher (theory/practic) and bass player if possible :)

Thanks again! Be sure i will follow your advice