1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What to play on the upright bass?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Max Chevalier, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Max Chevalier

Max Chevalier

Hi Everyone!

I study Jazz electric bass at college, and there's this awesome upright bass at school that I like to tackle from time to time. The thing is, I just don't know what to play. I started doing some scales and exercises to practise my intonation, as well as some basic Jazz/blues licks. Has anyone got any idea of what basslines would be fun to learn? What did you guys learned first ?

Thanks!

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I always try to play music....

3. Max Chevalier

Max Chevalier

Well, obviously ;) You look like a seasoned player, wouldn't you have any recommendation ? Any good books, etudes, songs I should give a try? I'm just looking for some help here, thank you.

4. longfinger

longfinger

Play the same material. Blues, Rhythm changes, and Song Book Standards do not change when you change instruments. 4/4 is still 4/4, G major is still G major, 32 bar form is still 32 bar form...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. glutah

glutah

The j hrabe books, with a bow. The bow will help your left hand immensely.

7. glutah

glutah

Will give you a good foundation for anything you want to play.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Well, first what do you play on your bass guitar? Jazz isn't really like classical music or rock, there's not so much a "part" or "line" for bass as there is the expectation that YOU are going to create a line based on the (loose) framework of the harmony that relates to both the melody and the direction of the soloist. There's an exercise in the STICKIES under MUSIC THEORY here called REALLY Learning A Tune, check that out.

9. Max Chevalier

Max Chevalier

Yeah, I should have been more specific. I already know how to read, walk to chord changes and etc. I'm more interested in getting some recommendations for things to play... like any classical etude or piece, a suggestion of a Jazz standard, maybe even a rock/pop song ? Anything ! Even though I already have the basics to play Jazz, I would like to approach this instrument as a begginer by not skipping any steps, if you know what I mean. Sorry if this was posted in the wrong section.

10. wizerd

wizerd

Get a copy of "The Poll Winners Ride Again." "Volare" should keep you busy.

11. Max Chevalier

Max Chevalier

Nice! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll work on this!

12. longfinger

longfinger

Ok, well to approach the double bass with the right physical mindset, this book is a great place to start.

Franz Simandl - New Method for String Bass Part 1.

It's just a book though, it won't see and hear what you are doing wrong and correct you till you get it right. A few starter lessons on posture and approach will guide you greatly.

As you work your way through that book (first 50 or so pages are the most important), also redo your college level electric bass study material on the upright bass.

13. Max Chevalier

Max Chevalier

Thank you for the insight! It may be far from being perfect, but I had the upright bass teacher of my school (I see you're from Montreal, maybe you know Frédéric Alarie?) and a friend of mine to quickly correct my position, so I already have that issue partially solved.

14. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Disclosures:
    Then start listening to more recordings, if something speaks to you, work on that.....

15. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

I would recommend Simadl and a good teacher. A good teacher will catch a quirk before it becomes a habit. Bad habits are hard to break, so it is best to learn it right the first time.

16. Rick Auvil

Rick Auvil