1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What to wear

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by msteffke, Feb 20, 2013.

1. msteffke

msteffke Guest

Gig attire. As a bassist you're the classy guy? I am in our group. I dress like I play, w style and class. Not a tshirt guy. How bout you?

2. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I've been giving a lot of thought to this lately. We're not quite ready to gig yet but real close(About 40 songs so far). I'm thinking a nice Pair of Slacks, Shirt & Vest.

3. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Music is showbiz. Showbiz means costumes. Wear what fits the gig. It's a costume. My opinion.

4. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus Supporting Member

Interesting first post.

Pants definitely pants.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Depends on the gig. I don't do my theatre show country band gig in t-shirt and jeans, I don't do the classic rock gig in country clothing, and I don't do the twice yearly community choir gig in anything other than sharp looking black.

7. PimasterPearson

PimasterPearson

This.

Most of my band's gigs are casual, but I still like to dress nice - good slim-cut jeans, a tight solid-color tshirt or button-up collar shirt, and leather shoes. I try to keep it simple and classy.

8. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

I do mostly fill-in stuff these days. So I wear what works for the gig.

Country - jeans, Double H boots, some sort of button down shirt with the sleeves rolled up. Relaxed attitude. (I refuse to do the current Nashville thing and wear Converse Chucks, skinny jeans, plain black v-neck T and maybe a scarf with a pseudo mohawk.)

Rock - jeans, black "roach stompers" (really mean looking black leather shoes), usually a T-shirt (but not a hipster shirt with something "ironic" on it).

Soul or R&B - black pants with a crease you could cut your finger on, white button down shirt with sleeves rolled up, black vest, small "go to hell brim" hat, big fat grin on my face

9. chuck3

chuck3

Someone posted on TB once that you don't want to look just like your audience, since you're one of the performers. I agree with that. I have about a dozen different "gig shirts" that are not what you would typically see. Tight black t-shirt underneath and slim cut black jeans. Plus, boots:

[​IMG]

10. OnederTone

OnederTone Sucker for Sunburst Supporting Member

If the gig doesn't call for something SPECIFIC

Chucks.

Purple & Black Socks*.

Jeans.

Black Button down shirt.

*Yes, really. It's my "thing"

11. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses

Doc Marten Grizzlies, very dark blue jeans, Van Heusen white point collar French cuffs, cuff links, skeleton watch and at church, a black double-breasted blazer.

Same as I wear everywhere else.

12. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    I don't know about costumes but I very much agree with the statement about dressing better than your audience. Or at least better so as to stand out from them.

I almost never play in a t-shirt only. I'm in a Red Dirt Country band so nice jeans, a classy "show" button up shirt, cowboy hat. Cowboy boots or some other nice boot. I add in some silver jewelry sometimes. And the occasional bandanna tied to a belt loop. Give some movement as I move on stage.

First pic is more typical but I did bust out the snazzy threads at a show a couple years ago.

Attached Files:

13. aprod

aprod

I don't understand t-shirt bands. You're there to entertain dress the part.

14. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93

Now that its winter, I typically wear deep tan corduroy pants, brown Clarke desert boots and a V neck shirt. Looks pretty nice and professional while still looking "hip."

15. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses

If you're in an old-school hardcore punk band and your t-shirt is clean, you probably are dressed better than the audience....

16. OnederTone

OnederTone Sucker for Sunburst Supporting Member

Section 4, Article 37
    Each band is allotted one member that may dress "down" or "up" contrary to prescribed image. Drummers are excluded from this provision, as they may wear gym shorts to prevent the bus from smelling like a monkey cage on the drive to the next town.

Section 4, Article 38
    For each level of flash the front man or guitarist with mystique dresses, each successive member of the band may dress one order of magnitude lower.

17. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

I agree with the idea of dressing at a different level than the audience. That is not meant as a slam to the audience. They are there to have fun and can dress as they please. However, if I'm dressed slightly different than they are, there is an unspoken understanding that I am there for a different purpose. And that purpose is to entertain.(with the side benefit of the fact that I love what I'm doing)

18. Rev J

Rev J

I've done fill in work in church (I'm not Christian) but I wore a pair of Black Slacks, White Shirt, and Jerry Garcia Tie (if I have to wear a tie then I'll stay true to my Hippie Roots) with my Buddhist Mala underneath it (interesting fact there are 108 beads on a Catholic Rosary and 108 Beads on a Buddhist Mala). I've done Hippie Jam Gigs with a Black Wife Beater, a Kilt (flown true Scott Style), and Doc Martens.

Good rule of thumb is to dress nicer then your audience.

C/S,
    Rev J

19. Duckwater

Duckwater

I wear whatever scrubs I'm already wearing

20. Edgar664

Edgar664

jeans + pantera tshirt

i can never go wrong with that :)

21. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nice jeans + clean tshirt (of an influential band to me) here. Simple, easy, doesn't get in the way, looks decent. Both my groups play original material, I'd think that "dressing up" would be rather more important for a cover band (unless it's an originals group deliberately trying to promote a very specific image).

--