1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

what tone do you like the most?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Alexdeth89, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

I recently watched two videos, first there's a guy playing with a single p pickup with alnico V magnets and I believe he is running the bass all passive.
    The second one is another guy with a PJ set, which are the new X series by EMG and an active 2 band onboard preamp.

I think the first bass sounds very classic and the second one is more on the modern side.
    What do you think of these two tones? share your thoughts and please comment

2. bobbybass85

bobbybass85

It's really hard to compare the two since the recordings are so different. The second one has a much cleaner recording and there for IMO enhances the "modern" tone of the Warwick.

That aside I'm a fan of more classic, passive basses being run into modern amps (Mesa, GK etc). Something about that combo is perfect to me. The active thing hasn't ever intrigued me too much with the sole exception of a Stingray

3. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

I have always loved Ben Kenny's tone on Incubus Live at Red Rocks. Lakland through a Walkabout. Buttuh! Listen to it with headphones.

4. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

Personally, they are two differnet players with two different string attack ideas. Mr. Irvine is quite the player, but you can tell he has some jazz training. The other guy is a solid player but he lacks the same feel, and as such his tone will not be as punch as Andy's.

That said; The EMG's will stomp the MIM upgraded pickup bass live. Properly EQ'd of course. The EMG's shine live. The MIM might be a better recording bass. To be honest, one of his videos he settled on a Tesla pickup and i liked that tone much more: I agree.

EMG's have the magic of always sounding the same when you plug them in, especially direct.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. EpiRipper

EpiRipper

What tone do I like most? ... Mine!

7. Revolver

Revolver

Coppertone . . .

8. spaz21387

spaz21387

I vote for the p bass with duncans spb1

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    P for me, though I do like EMG's a lot and I like Andy Irvine's playing.