What tool do I need for this?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    I want to tighten the truss rod on my Carvin AC40F. It's hex shaped. Should I just go at it with needle nose plyers and try to turn it? or is there a tool for it?
  2. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

I would find the right sized hex that goes on there. You can strip the nut with anything else.
    Take it to a tech and he can tell you what size you would need.
  3. Gorn Captain

I'm not a mechanically inclined kinda guy, so I don't understand why it's like this. There's generally a hole you put an allen key in. It looks like anything that would fit over this would be too big to get into that opening.
  4. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

There is generally a nut. Some require an Allen (hex) wrench. Some require a nut driver. Others a screwdriver will suffice.

Yours requires a nut driver. Buy a set of good ones. They will last a life time.

On the other hand, if you are not "mechanically inclined" there are many good techs who will be ready, willing, and able to make the adjustments for you. Find a good one and make friends. You will be surprised what you will learn in conversation.
  5. CBRXJ

CBRXJ

6. Gorn Captain

Ooooh the googles. I shoulda known. I wonder if home depot would have something like this.
  7. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

I had to take a nut driver and grind it down on the outside to allow clearance for it to fit in the tight space. A "thin wall" nut driver will do the same thing or you could order the tool from Carvin. The auto supply store nearest you has something that will work nicely though.
  8. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

Yes Home Depot also carries nut drivers.
  9. bassteban

bassteban

You may need a *thin-wall*socket(rarely available at hardware stores, you might need to find a Snap-on or Mac tool guy; know any auto mechanics?)and handle, or the exact Carvin-specific tool.

Edit: Duh/sleepy- what bass eking already said...
    :rolleyes:
  10. Gorn Captain

Ugh. This is gonna be annoying. I can get what I need from Carvin, but I really don't want to pay 10 bucks to ship a 3 dollar tool.
  11. bassteban

bassteban

You won't pay $13 to properly take care of your instrument? $10 is dirt cheap for a tool, and paying someone else to repair a jacked nut may be more painful.

Edit: OK, still sleepy- I agree the shipping is a byotch but compared to doing it wrong, then having to repair and THEN do it right...
  12. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

Go get a nut driver from HD and grind the outsides down until it fits in the space. Costs about $5 but you need to use someones grinder or belt sander to make it work. OR go to Snapon or Mac and get a thinwall socket. Good luck with that as I have never seen a 1/4" thinwall socket in 30 years as an ASE Master technician (I do a lot of business with Snapon and Mac as a mechanic). I believe you will need to make it yourself or order it from Carvin.

Every bass player should have the tools needed to adjust his/her bass. I find tools to be very expensive also but their is no reasonable alternative here. Buy one. My Gibson V bass has a 5/16" nut on its truss rod and very little clearance to get a nut driver on the nut. I went to the garage and got a cheap 5/16" socket out and put it on a driver handle and took it to the grinder. A few minutes later I had what I needed and it stays in the bass case now where it has been for over 20 years now. That tool is now dedicated to adjusting my bass only so I can find it when needed.
  13. CBRXJ

CBRXJ

snap on is going to cost a lot more than 10 bucks.
  14. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

No kidding that is just another reason why I recommend HD or an autoparts store. Get a basic socket or nut driver and have a friend with tools help make it fit your bass. Much cheaper than Snapon if they even have one that size that's a thinwall.
  15. Gorn Captain

Pretty much every one I know lives in an apartment and has no more tools than a screwdriver or hammer. I'll give HD a shot and then probably order it from Carvin. Much thanks everyone.
  16. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

"Thinwall" sockets are a specific use tool. That means they are made for a specific service application. As a result not all socket sizes come in a thinwall design. This is why I think you will need to modify an existing socket or buy Carvins tool.
  17. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

Who does your auto repair? Take the tool to him/her and ask if they would modify the tool for you. Take your bass with you to test it for fit. This shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to complete.
  18. Gorn Captain

Toyota does my auto repair on my leased Camry. I was a spoiled child with spoiled friends who never learned mechanical skills.
  19. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

Any friends with access to a high school or college shop class? Or slip your Toyota tech a fiver and ask for some help. The service advisor at the Toyota shop may help if you don't know or haven't met the technician.
  20. Gorn Captain

I have some friends that are high school teachers, but NYC public schools don't have shop. Most schools are lucky to have a band. And as for the Toyota people, maybe in Michigan they're helpful and willing or able to answer questions, not so much here.