What tool to use to trim/cut pickguard?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Oct 27, 2002.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

I ordered my silver pearloid pickguard from Warmoth, and it looks real purty. The problem is that the material overlaps the control plate ever so slightly. (It's a MIM, and Warmoth says their guards might not fit some Mexi-Basses, so this is all my problem.) Here's a picture of what needs to be removed (roughly):
    [​IMG]

What should I use to trim this down? Should I file it? Saw it? I've never had to cut a pickguard before. Is it going to smell bad, as I have heard pickguards can, when cut?
  2. SpankBass

SpankBass

All plastic smells pretty bad when you cut it. Just a band saw would work, but you may not have access to any type of heavy machinery do you? A saw may work, though I'm not too sure if it will be strong enough.
  3. merlin

merlin

Hello and welcome to Talkbass... i suggest you lick it down to size... :rolleyes:

ahem. Try using a hacksaw clamp it down to the bench so it doesnt slip around the place and cut away. Cut slightly outside the line and the sand back with different grades of Wet'n'Dry sand paper.

:D:D

Merls
  4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Man, if I had a dime for everytime I heard that.

Thanks for your other advice, though. ;)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Well, to end this tale of love, strife, and wartime passion, I was searching in my basement to find where the freakin' sandpaper was when I found...

A Foredom Rotary!

Problem solved. :D

(This thing was my Grandfather's... it has to be like 50 years old. Still works though, and it has about 1.3 billion attachments. Now that I know I have it, I'll be havin' tons of fun.)
  7. ChaosGwar

ChaosGwar

I used a dremel to trim one of my p/gs. Good lord that thing smelled AWFUL! Cutting it is bad enough, but the thing started melting! Anyway, a Dremel and some sand paper was all I needed to mod my pickguard.
  8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

I've never used a Dremel, but from what I understamd, a Foredom Rotary tool is the same thing, just bigger. And while it was stinky, it didn't smell quite THAT bad... maybe I'm just used to bad smells. (I have to live with myself, don't it I? :D)