What tools do you need to make a bass?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dinghy, Oct 9, 2007.

1. dinghy

dinghy

Which are absolutely essential? I've got a scroll saw (max wood thickness only 1 inch... =[ ) sandpaper, files, bow saw, planer, drill, glue, stain, laquer. What else do I need?

2. cricketfever32

cricketfever32

band saw, router table, drill press, fret hammer, soldering gun, or a friend with those tools, just search around in the faq's and www.stewmac.com, they have many luthier specific tools

3. T2W

T2W

Press drill and Router, planers are quite important too. big bandsaw if you can afford it, I dont have one and its not too bad, however I would lose less of my wood if I had a bandsaw. I plan on getting one real soon.

4. eleonn

eleonn

Well if you ask what is needed for building a bass my answer would be everything that was mention before, I mean power and hand tools. But you could make a bass just with hand tools.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. codyAllen191

codyAllen191

Well, the 2 big things that help me are; a can of spare time and a big box of money, both of those seem to run out faster than anything else.

7. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp Supporting Member

Everyone's pretty much hit on everything but the one thing I've found absolutely necessary is a DIY sanding block contoured for sanding necks! This tool is almost invaluable, especially when you look on TB and see every other thread about why so and so likes neck type "A" and how it's so much better than neck type "B" and then WWIII breaks out!

Basically just take a scrap piece of 2x4 and cut it to fit your hand, hold it against the rounded off part of a belt sander. Then if you got cork or felt, glue a piece of that to the impression and trim it to fit right. Then you can take a piece of sandpaper of whatever grit is needed and just run that up and down the neck till it's smooth and even and fits your hand just right.

8. dinghy

dinghy

I don't know if I should start a new thread for this, but where do you get your wood*?

And thanks for the replies, I think my grandfather has a band saw, drill press, router, all that good stuff... I think he'd actually enjoy helping me make it too.

*answer is not jessica alba

9. guitar<bass

guitar<bass

Damn Good question for beginners!

10. Suburban

Suburban

What you have and a set of chisels will suffice. But all the mentioned power tools will help. My personal fav is the drill press.

11. dblbass

dblbass

Disclosures:
    Worker Gnome @ Carl Thompson Guitars. Former worker gnome @ Sadowsky guitars
    trees!

12. Yvarg

Yvarg

Look up "Lumber" in your local phonebook and start calling the stores listed asking if they carry whatever it is you're looking for and keep a list of those who do. Then go visit all of the ones that said yes to your questions and compare prices; at least that's what I do when I need wood . . .

13. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp Supporting Member

If you don't have any "donor" trees in your yard (I had a nice alder that just happened to get struck by lightning a while back and was dying so it had to go), the local lumber yards and sawmills are a good place to start. If not there, check ebay or somewhere else online.

14. scottyd

scottyd

Disclosures:
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    I built my first bass with nothing more than a jack plane, hand drill, jigsaw, router/bits, disk sander, home made clamps and a radius block. It's a 5 string that I still have and use today. Don't believe the hype when it comes to tools. Stewmac makes a killing off of people who buy their "specialty tools". Most are just normal hand tools reworked to suite whatever purpose, nothing you can't do yourself. That said there are plenty of tools that make the job easier a lot of which I own now, but that doesn&#8217;t mean they are a necessity. :)

15. T2W

T2W

mmmmmmm Jessica Alba... what the hell is this about? wooooooooo mmmmmm Jesica Alba....... Not even Pale Moon Ebony beats Jessica Alba.

16. cricketfever32

cricketfever32

t2w, thats my new sig...what about jessica alba + pale moon ebony?