1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What tubes do YOU use in a Mesa MPulse 600?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by brattbugg@sbcgl, Dec 5, 2012.

1. brattbugg@sbcgl

brattbugg@sbcgl Supporting Member

Simply looking to replace the 12ax7 tubes in my M pulse 600. I have one that has failed so I know that is a for sure thing. Being that a 12ax7 is usually cheap, I may as well replace both. Other than Mesa tubes, what are you guys using? Im not sure how much they will change the tone based on what Im reading, but Im looking for clean tone not overdriven. Thanks Myke
  2. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I think Mesa tubes are actually Sovteks. I like JJ's ($10) and have heard great things about the Tung Sol 12AX7 ($15). There are fancier tubes and NOS and all that too of course.
  3. wmheilma

wmheilma

The Mesa EC883 are really good sounding IMHO. Mesa is picky about the specs, so they are consistently good-sounding. I have a box of tubes I bought before I found ones I really like. There is a lot of difference between the different ones. I use Mesa preamp tubes in SWR or Genz Benz heads, but also found they sound great in my old Ampeg SVT II P preamp. I have not tried Tung Sol 12AX7'x yet, but I have some Tung Sol 6550 power tubes that kick butt which I got from Fat Willie in Denver. So Tung Sol would be worth a shot.
  4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

They used to be. But I'm thinking they're now JJ's? I have a handful of both JJ and Mesa 12AX7's and they're identicle...even right down to one of each failing in the same spot of the heater wire. :(
  5. duderus

duderus

How did u know u needed to switch or get new ones. Never had to yet but want to be prepared. Thanks.
  6. duderus

duderus

How did u know that u needed to change the tubes? Just curious. Thanks.
  7. brattbugg@sbcgl

brattbugg@sbcgl Supporting Member

I was getting unwanted distortion/ breakup. When I opened the amp up, one tube would not glow regardless of which socket it was in. I actually ended up replacing them with the Mesa military tubes. All is well now.
  8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

You change when it fails (stops making sound), or starts making unusual noises.
  9. robangel7

robangel7

Hey guys question, should I bias my Mpulse 600 in order to change the same type of tubes (JJ's already inside) I never replaced them before; Thank you guys!!
  10. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

If you're just replacing preamp tubes, then no.
    Preamp tubes do not require biasing.