1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What type of Bass does Dee Dee Ramone Play?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kramerica, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Kramerica

Kramerica

Hey folks I just joined this site and I have only been playing the bass for 5 months. I am in my 30 something’s and loved the Ramones all my life. I got a bug up my butt this summer and wanted to start playing the bass. Rather that learning "Mary had a little lamb" and "twinkle twinkle" I started with Blitzkrieg Bop and I Remember You. I am now up to Green Day and Foo Fighters. I am having fun with it and it is a great way to relax. I was wondering if any of you bass prodigies know any information about Dee Dee Ramones Bass. I thought it was a P-Bass but I have also seen pictures of him with it but I also noted it appeared to be a Jazz Bass. Does anyone have any insight on this?
  2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage. Supporting Member

From 1975-1986 he played Fender Prescisions, then started playing ESP Custom P-Basses, in various shapes/colors, etc.
  3. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

Buy a Fender Precision!!!
  4. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Early on he used a Fender Musicmaster then switched to a Precision. Pretty sure the first album is all Musicmaster.
  5. BowserBass

BowserBass

6. Psychbunny

Psychbunny

Dee Dee also played a white Mosrite (high flyer type, 2-PU). You can see him with it in some of the South American tour footage. Blitzkrieg Bop is a great first song. If you can play that you can also play Louie Louie and Wild Thing BTW.
  7. cruzerjd

cruzerjd

He played a short scale Fender of some sort when i saw him in 2001, pretty much right before he died. Some asshat in the audience pulled the input jack out while he was playing and he finished the show playing a Danelectro Hodad that someone had brought to have signed. Really cool guy, met him backstage and had a beer with his band (he wasn't drinking at the time, he had a bottled water) and shot the ****. One of the greats in my opinion.
  8. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

9. bassteban

bassteban

Awesome zombie thread is awesome.
    On topic, I find it amazing that one could like the Ramones and not seen something indicating that Dee Dee often played a Precison.
    Lets all come back 10 years from NOW and reanimate, eh?
    :(
  10. nagarjuna

nagarjuna

Black Kramer with P pickup in 81' , I thought it sounded great...