1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What type/style of compression do you like?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Aaron_D, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Aaron_D

Aaron_D

Do you run a low ratio and a low threshold for a smooth evening out of your tone? Or maybe a high ratio for more punch? Perhaps some parallel or serial compression?

These days I seem to be favoring using two compressors (compressore and dbx 160) at very mild settings for a very natural sound that is still very compressed.

Please share how you like your compression and what your compressor setup is like.

:bassist:

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Just a hint of the onboard on my Carvin MB-12. Carvin has one of the best onboard compressors for heads and combo amps there is. I've never had to worry about ratio, threshold, noise, "pumping," or anything else.

Then again, my concept of compression is a slight bit as an aid to good technique and musicality, not an effect in and of itself.

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Yeah, low ratio and low threshold is a good way to go. Subtlety is the name of the game when it comes to compression. You usually want it set so that you hardly notice it when it's on - but you notice its absence when it's not on.

That said, I recently invested in two separate standalone compressor pedals - an Aguilar TLC and a Diamond BCP-1 - for two distinct purposes: the TLC is reputed to function very well in "hard limiter" mode, for protecting speakers from crazy power spikes, volume spikes, etc. The BCP-1 is reputedly very good for actual tone shaping, in order to get that luscious smooth, "pillowy" effect that comes from good compression.

So then I'll probably set the TLC for medium-high ratio and medium-high threshold, while keeping the BCP-1 set for low ratio / low threshold. That way, they're unlikely to conflict with each other.

I haven't used either of them just yet - but will do so quite soon. We shall see... :smug:

MM

4. Swift713

Swift713

I use a Maxon CP9 pro+ with the threshold at (-)25 and ratio at 3:1. My signal crosses the threshold quite frequently but the ratio is on the subtler side.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

None for me, i like to sound natural. Peak-limiting, on the other hand, is something i use a lot with all the pedals i run, but i keep the threshold high enough so that it doesn't touch my clean tone. Daring Audio Phat Beam FTW.

7. jcerio

jcerio

I use my BBE Sonic Stomp. It's the older model - white/yellow with red text and no "mustache" logo. I turn the comp knob about 1/2 way and even out the volume. Nice and warm and doesn't sound too squishy. Simple, just the way I like it.

8. bassbrad

bassbrad

I always hated compression on my bass but then wanted to try some out, went thru about a dozen and wound up with a Durham Sex Drive, not a full feature compressor but I like what it does on my basses.

http://durhamelectronics.com/sexdrive.html

9. Waterpilot

Waterpilot

This is how I used mine when it was on my board. I've taken it off but am thinking about putting it back on.

10. darius8

darius8

I always thought low ratio/high threshold made the volume smoother while high ratio/low threshold was for a fast and aggressive effect.

11. crguti

crguti

I prefer dual band, so I can get different compression for lows and highs. I usually compress more the lows.

12. Emanuel Apascaritei

Emanuel Apascaritei

Media:
    Albums:
    I like a VCA type of compressor. Ussualy start at 4:1 ratio acting no more than 4-5db, with a medium attack and release, and start from there. This is for studio work.

Live, I don´t use compression at all. If the sound guy wants to compress than he can compress it with whatever type of compression he likes as long as I sound good.

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Low compression ratio, (2:1 or 3:1), fairly high Threshold. At these settings, I get more of a "fattening-up" effect than actual squeezing.

14. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

I use compression like an effect!

For light subtle compression I use the VT bass warmth... but when I step on the compressor I want to go near electronica sounds, squashed with low attack spped so it sounds like I have my own kick drum.

:D

15. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Aguilar TLC here:
    Ratio at 10 o'clock.
    Threshold either at 11 or 1 depending on mood.
    Attack at 10.

16. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Dat's cool... :cool:

MM