What vehicle has the largest cargo space with high mpg?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman Supporting Member

Right now i have a 2002 toyota 4runner but im looking around since i will probably buy whatever is new now in a few years.

i think the vw jetta tdi sportwagen is the winner at the moment with some people getting 40+ mpg

i need to fit alot of music gear in there so im pretty sure im limited to wagons and suv's.

is there anything that would rival the vw in terms of large cargo area and high mpg?

2. KJung

KJung

The problem with the 'full 4 wheel drive' SUV's is that due to all that 'off road' hardware, the cargo area is very high off the groung, and relatively small.

The Toyota RAV4, the Honda CRV (my choice) and the Honda Element, all get great gas mileage, have 'all wheel drive' to deal with 'non off road' events like snow, and have very low to the ground cargo loading, and more room than your 4 Runner.

That added advantage over a more 'station wagon' type vehicle is that your gear is out of site due to the deep cargo area and 'black out' rear windows'.

I get between 27 and 31 MPH on the highway with my 2007 CRV, depending on weather conditions and speed, and it GOES through the snow and rain!

To give you an idea of the cargo space, with the rear seats not folded up, and pushed back so that the car can fit four people comfortably, I can fit a full size 410 box, a bass, two small heads and my luggage in the back compartment with room to spare. With the rear seats folded up, there is room for two full 410 rigs.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

No. Short answer.

4. Bjazzman

Bjazzman Supporting Member

I think my 4runner has more cargo than a rav4(used to own one of these) just due to the suspension cutting into the cargo area. that alone will not allow you to have even space from side to side as you do from front to back.

most of the time my 4runner has plenty of space with the seats not folded down but I have a vibraphone I haul around and how many vehicles can do that?

not sure how the tdi's do in winter. if prius made a wadon that wasent funny looking i'd spring for that

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tinjenbass

tinjenbass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Dean Guitars
    I have a Honda Element that gets about 26-30 MPG depending on conditions. But the reason I bought this box is soley based on the cargo room. To give you an idea, the rear seats come completely out, or can be flipped up from the ground to the side walls. Anyway with the seats out, I have fit my Ampeg fridge in an ATA case, 3 basses, and my ATA rig in the front seat. On another occasion I took my friends rig down to ATL for him, and he has an ATA case with 2 triple rectifiers and a 10 space shock on top of that, and 1 4x12 cab in an ATA case, with about 4 guitars and luggage. If you can get over the look of the truck, the gear this baby can carry is really endless.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

Another Element owner here...I too love it for both everyday and for gear hauling. Because the seats fold to the sides easily and also come out altogether VERY quickly its perfect for moving gear and VERY spacious inside. The bonus of having no carpet works for gear loading quite well, as does the fact that the entire load floor is flat and level. The rubberized floor is great if you live in winter climates too...no need to worry about salt and snow on your boots.

MPG? around town its not so great...I average 17-20ish. On the highway I'm getting 27-30 for long trips.

8. hover

hover

the 2010 Ford Transit Connect
    [​IMG]

lotta room. saw one just this morning. neat.

9. DigMe

DigMe

The car with best cargo space to mpg is going to be a minivan such as the Mazda5. At 26 mpg and with almost double the cargo space of the Element (just under 150 cubic feet) it's going to be hard to beat based on those factors alone.

If you're like me though maybe you despise the thought of bumping around in a minivan!

bc

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

I would suspect that VW TDI would kick complete butt in winter. Front wheel drive and a very high torque motor = happiness in winter. My wife had a Passat back in the day that was good. Also, I would expect that VW diesels are more reliable than their gasoline powered cousins.

I drive a Subaru Levgacy station wagon - it gets poor mileage compared to the TDI VWs - mid 20s. I love the drive-ability and road feel of my station wagon WAY WAY WAY more than any SUV I've ever been in, even the crossover SUVs. If my Legacy was totalled tomorrow, the TDI Jetta would be on my very short list for replacements.

Loves me the station wagon concept.

Take good care of it. Great car.

11. MadMan118

MadMan118

Looks like a European model of some sort, too sensible of a car to be able to sell to any American:p

12. ()smoke()

()smoke()

buy an older dodge cummins diesel pickup with a long bed and covert it to burn recycled vegetable oil...put a camper on top, and you're greener than buying a new vw, with substantially more cargo space plus the capability to tow something:)

...with the apparent popularity of fried foodstuff these days, you should have no problem finding plenty of oil to recycle

13. KJung

KJung

The current RAV4's are nothing like the originals... probably double the cargo space of the originals (similar to the current CRVs), and at least as much, but probably more, than your 4runner... much better mileage, and the blackout windows make it a dream if you have to park in a hotel parking lot all night when on the road.

Per the above, if you are driven totally by mileage and cargo space, the Elements are probably the best bet. If they quiet them down a bit at highway speeds, I'll seriously consider one of those when my CRV is ready to go.

14. hover

hover

Dude, while any other time I would agree completely, I am very much in America :D, and they are certainly selling :)...I saw one this morn, one the other day, and there are two sitting in a dealer lot across from my Dad's...I like them.

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

My '04 RAV4, (before they got even bigger), easily stows my 2x15 cab, racked amp head, 2 cased basses, a gear bag, and if need be, a 2x12 guitar combo, guitar, and another gear bag. Room to spare. This, of course, is with the rear seats removed. I get approx. 30 mpg.

16. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

I recently carpooled to a gig in a new Rav4. They have a shocking amount of cargo space. We hauled my DB, amp, and a drum kit (w/ cymbal locker) and still had alot of room to spare. You couldn't do that in my outback.

17. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I saw one of these the other day as well. The same thought occurred to me when I saw the title of this thread.

22city/25hwy According to the FMC website.

18. DigMe

DigMe

as I mentioned above the Mazda5 gets about the same mpg as an element but with twice the cargo capacity so if your only considerations are mileage and cargo space then that or some other flavor of minivan are going to be your best bet. I kind of doubt that those two things are truly the OP's only considerations though.

bc

19. Frankiebass59

Frankiebass59

I have a Chevy HHR with the 175hp 2.4L engine. 30+ mpg hywy and it actually gets out of its own way. Fit my entire rig w/the seats UP. 2x12, DB750, equip. bag, stands etc. It's an '07 and has been dead reliable. Never been in the shop. It's out gigging every weekend and I use it for work during the week. I love it and it looks cool.......:)

View attachment 138535