What was the longest you went without changing strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tupac, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Tupac

Tupac

When playing actively, sitting in your attic doesn't count. When I got my first bass, I went 6 months.
  2. temmrich

temmrich Supporting Member

I'm on about 8 years and counting.
    I've actually had the same strings through 3 basses. Just take em off and throw em on the new bass.
  3. Duckwater

Duckwater

I can keep a good set of rounds sounding bright for about a half year of constant use(2-8 hours a day). My flats keep their sound until they break. My oldest set is a 3 year old set of Roto 66s that has developed their own signature sound, a thumpy singing tone with a touch of an aggressive upper-midrange edge to it.
  4. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

13 years for The Thomastiks on my Hofner Cavern bass! 33 years for the Fender flats on my '74 P.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

I've had a set of dr black beauties on a p bass for maybe 3 years now. I go from playing it 5 days a week for a few months to not at all for a few months. I want to change them to a heavier guage but I can't justify it cuz they still sound new.
  7. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Does changing strings around on basses count? If so my TIs have been on active duty for four years now. I can't even remember when I last bought any strings... For a permanently broke guy like me flats is the way to go.
  8. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

6 months. Any bass played longer (actively used, mind you) is played by Cretins :p
  9. qervo

qervo

OMG.. I can't even imagine going 3 months much less 33 years. I bet you got some grime in those babies.
  10. zachoff

zachoff

I usually don't change strings unless I go for a different tuning/gauge. I have basses with years on them. I have basses with a few months on them. Depends what I'm doing with them at the time.
  11. Lee Bruton

Lee Bruton Guest

My God, people!!
  12. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

almost 4 months on GHS flats (i took them off for 1 week). when tuning up, i accidentally went too high and snapped the A string. next up were d'addario chromes for 3-3.5 months. they were nice but the G string wouldn't break in and the e string was WAAAY thumper than the rest.
  13. Kentucky Ryan

Kentucky Ryan

i put a set on my sr1300 when i got it in early march. i actually like the sound of rounds after they have a little age on them. i dont plan on changing them until they break or just sound like crap.
  14. raslroy

raslroy

7yrs & only changed em b/c of rust
  15. johnson79

johnson79

I had the original SX rounds on my bass for at least 6 years. I'm not sure exactly when my brother bought the bass. Not the best sound.
  16. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

I've changed pickups more often than I've changed strings....with flats the longer they're on the better they sound.
  17. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    I have a set of D'Addario Groundrounds that have been on my 1973 Mustang for 20 years. It's not my main bass, but it comes out when that specific tone (70 something Blues Bassist in a Mississippi Roadhouse) is needed.
  18. Jaco D

Jaco D

Years! I predominantly use Roto 66s and I find them bright out of the pack. They "age" or mellow down as the months go by and once they've reach that point I just don't see any reason to swap them out short of a string breaking. Same with the flats on one of my fretless basses. It's been years since they've been replaced I can't even remember what they were. Regular cleaning after using probably helps.
  19. music fun

music fun

I wipe my strings down with a diaper or a microfiber cloth and rubbing alcohol after playing. May I admit my Ovation Magnum has had the same set of round wounds I bought with the guitar in 1981? Am I disqualified to belong to TB now?

I like the way they sound today. Springy and deep, punchy and broad.
  20. Tupac

Tupac

Good God... they must be black, and last least double the gauge they were when you bought em form snowballed grime.
  21. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Nope! Shiny and clean, just a quick wipe with a dry cloth post-gig.