What was your biggest "oh $&@!" moment?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by paste, Mar 2, 2014.

1. paste

paste Supporting Member

Back when I was really into ping pong, I used to play my brother a lot and I was kicking his arse 20 - 11 one time when out of the clutchness of clutch clutch he comes back and defeats me 22-20. And damn I dont know what got into me but I chucked my racket at my brother in a heat of frustration and thank god he ducked at the last moment it was about to crack him. But nope, the racket ended up curving downward and cracking him in the forehead. Now from my POV, all I saw was an old geyser of blood squirting out of his head - it looked like that scene from There will be Blood when the oil rig exploded. I honestly thought I had killed him and I finally understood what peolple meant when they say "my heart sank like a rock". Scariest half hour wait for that ambulance ever.
  2. ZenG

ZenG

The moment right after I said "I do"..........
  3. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

The moment when you know you are going to crash the motorcycle. You stop thinking about trying not to crash and start thinking about how to land. It's a moment of stunning clarity, as well as OH @#@$@!!!
  4. paste

paste Supporting Member

Ha, this is pretty much what my dad told me about the time some dude rear ended him while he was on his bike. He said he actually saw the guy's face while being catapulted off his bike and still remembers the guys face.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sjeverett

sjeverett

Getting busted in my gf's closet by her dad at 1am on a Sunday night. He noticed the tip of my shoe in the reflection of her full length mirror on the opposite wall.
  7. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

I know this feeling so well. I can vividly remember my last trip flying through the air like superman after the dirtbike washed out from under me. Then seeing the guy following me almost run me over with his quad after I landed on my back in the middle of the trail...
  8. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

When I was doing 70 miles per hour on a road in which both sides had a 20 foot drop and seeing ahead maybe 50 yards or less a car pull out from a side street. I was in a 1984 tiny Mazda, them a 2008 toyota highlander. That was a total oh **** moment, even on impact.

I got out of the truck so dazed to have the guy come up to me and say "the police are on the way, this is obviously your fault". Really? dont ask if I am okay, when someone pulls out onto a remote highway from a side street and crosses my lane to go in the opposite direction thats my fault? My dad got there in a few minutes and chewed that guys ass out.
  9. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    I had a pickup truck turn left out of nowhere while I was driving through an intersection and had the green light.
    My car was a write off, and I recovered from it with some treatment.
    I remember thinking, just before we collided-"Are you kidding me?"
    To top it off the guy had no insurance, so my insurance company paid & sued the guy--but who knows if they could collect.
  10. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

I was hacksawing a piece off of an oil bottle mount on a Harley Chopper. The saw slipped and hit my left index finger between the first and second knuckle. Went halfway through the bone taking the nerve with it. Plastic surgeon spent 3 hours finding the nerve and stitching everything back together. Inside and the tip of the finger were numb for years but I was able to start playing guitar again in about 6 weeks. Just had to adapt a bit for the numbness. 40 years later , there is still some numbness in the finger but nothing that slows me down. Phew , talk about dodging the bullet.:bassist:
  11. Immigrant

Immigrant

:p

When I was 35, I married a 19 year old. We had nothing in common other than parts that fit together well. I knew our marriage was doomed when I had to explain that Led Zeppelin was a band, not a dude.

The power of poon shouldn't be underestimated,
  12. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

20 yaers ago, that one time I realised my bike's breaks weren't working while I was going downhill at ludicrous speed towards the windshield of a car. Best adrenaline ever, can't say the same about the skull fractures though.:D

20 years later, going on a trail downhill at ludicrous speed listening to Megadeth's Tornado Of Souls (bad bad decision), losing control of the bike only to find myslef flying. Definetely a OH **** I'm Superman!!! moment :hyper:

Crash landing made me realise there's nothing super about me.:help:

This is the absolutely stupid one:

At the age of 19, we drink with a few friends on a hill. Good advice booze told us to run downhill. We start, all my friends stop immediately as it is a long way down and a really stupid idea. I couldn't, I was half way down.

I'm running towards bushes 2 meter in height, with thorns and spikes and whatever. I'm definetely goin to lose at least an eye, so I decide to run as fast as I could and jump over them.

I did it, I jumped over the 2 meter long bushes and crash landed on my face. It DID hurt like a mofo, but the people passing by are laughing their arses off and looking behind me.

There was a couple under the bushes and apperantly it was their love nest, and an un-expected eagle that flew over them scared the **** out of them.:D:D:D

The look on their faces was priceless. Best laugh I ever had in my life, I laughed screaming to their faces and my friends almost fell off the hill laughing.:D
  13. Gaolee

You are out of your mind. I approve!
  14. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i lol'd ...:D
  15. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

I stopped pulling stunts like these a few years ago. You become more boring with each passing year I guess.

But I had lots of fun back in the day, we were "The Jackass" before it was aired for the first time :D
  16. kanonfodr

kanonfodr Supporting Member

Haha, reminds me of what a wise old motorcycle instructor once told me about the difference between rookies in an accident and experienced riders:

A Rookie's first though when the laws of physics express their displeasure: Oh S***!

An expert's first thought: "This is going to be expensive." :) :)

But ya, I've had a few of those: coming out of a corner in my Jeep and then fishtailing to end up contacting the rear tire first into the curb, over, and then into a deep ditch. Got out of that one pretty well - just busted a tire off the bead.

I remember my first mortar strike - totally not like the movies with the 'Wheeeeeeeeee-BOOM!' It's just a boom. Same thing for a car bomb, but magnified. We felt that Opel blow 4 miles away. Getting shot at gets kind of fun after a while, provided they miss.

That's all I got right now.

Peace,
    Greg
  17. PWRL

PWRL Supporting Member

The biggest? Which time?
    One I can immediately recall involved a warm, summer day at home, alone, and that lonely, gigantic mushroom in the other room. Seemed like such a good idea to eat it all.
    The hallucinations started in under fifteen minutes. Oops.
  18. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

Thrice, I've wiped out in my car but came out unscathed. Once, I was driving on wet roads and, at the time, my front tires were losing tread. So, I hydroplane for the first time in my life but I'm only going 40 MPH. I end up drifting onto a median and then my car goes into a 180 spin rotation of which I have no control. My car comes to a stop while going backwards on wet grass just inches from hitting a tree.
    Another time, I drove on icy roads and there was a bend in the road. I continued going straight while the road curved to the right. Fortunately, there wasn't traffic in the opposite lane. I ended up driving deep to the snow. At 50 MPH, I went really deep but a tow truck was able to get me out using a winch.
    I was in a minivan with three other people going on a ski trip. There was a snow drift in this section of road where I started to lose control. The back end started to come around. So I turned the steering wheel in the opposite direction to correct my direction. Then, the back end rotated the other way so I turned the steering wheel quickly in the opposite direction again. This time, I over corrected and the snap back spun the minivan 360 degrees. I stopped on the shoulder in the same direction of travel. Kind of surreal.
  19. ThatBassistDude

ThatBassistDude Supporting Member

Lol there's gotta be more to that story!
  20. Gaolee

Being an idiot who figures out it was a bad idea AFTER you start doing it is a personality trait that gets tempered over time. It never quite goes away, as I discovered again during this morning's commute. Darwin is looking after me. Yeah, I turn into THAT GUY every so often. When some guy in a BMW sedan decides his car is quicker than your bike in a downpour...

So, you don't have to worry about being boring. It's not boring. It's living long enough that the launches are farther apart!