What will you spend on a gig bag ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by artfahie, Dec 8, 2013.

1. artfahie

artfahie Supporting Member

I've got 3 nice basses... each in to $1500+ range... and as I only travel locally I don't really care about using my bass cases... just a "gig" bag.
    Well, for Christmas I'm treating myself to a new one. I've had "fur-lined" Levi cases before but decided to go with a nice new Levi "Leather" bag... $300 for a bag to potect almost $5000 in basses doesn't seem to weird (to me !).... I only use one at a time... share & share alike !

I'm betting I'm not the only one to overspend on this type of thing.... what are you using as a "gig" bag... and what would you "like" to be using ?

Art Fahie
    Maine
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

Good gig bags make sense for any bass, not just expensive ones. If you are only taking one bass to gig, you want yo protect it so you can play, period. Heck, if you have two, you don't want break one either! I've never spent more than $150 on a bag, but I could easily see myself spending more for a great bag or soft case.
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I'm using a Mono M80 double or a Vertigo and they are exactly what I like to be using.
  4. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I have spent as little as $10.00 for a nylon cover up to $200. for a Fodera Double gig bag…I very rarely use a hard shell case and my go to bags have been either Reunion Blues or Undercover bags…heavy padding, nylon covering and two large compartments…good value in the used market...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I agree. Mono gig-bags have great features for around $200 and look more than sufficient to transport any bass safely. I'm going to look into buying one eventually. I own a few different brands of varying price but the G&L gb's that can be bought in the $60 range are what I use regularly.
  7. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I really don't like gig bags due to the lack of protection they offer. My basses are always in a case when I travel.
  8. jaxom

jaxom

Why a gigbag instead of a case? Wouldn't a case provide more protection?
  9. magic papa

magic papa Gold Supporting Member

I have to agree that gig bags are sometimes better than hard cases. While not providing as much protection against crushing they are less likely to be thrown around in your car. I always had to wedge the hard cases somehow, while soft cases tend sit on the top of the pile nicely.

Personally I treat gig bags/cases as something that supposed to take the beating instead of your bass, so I wouldn't buy anything expensive just for fashion purposes.

I have a couple of Warwick RockBags that I think are awesome. Don't know how much they are cos they came with basses, but I'd say they're nowhere near $300.
  10. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

I bought an IGIG double that cost me $289, but it has provided great protection for the basses I take to gigs. It also has a ton of storage. A good investment, in my opinion.
  11. ebannist

ebannist

12. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

I don't get it. You can buy 2-3 hard shell cases for what some are spending on a single gig bag. To each their own I guess. :)
  13. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Why a gigbag instead of a case? Wouldn't a case provide more protection?

I really don't like gig bags due to the lack of protection they offer.

For going to the gig; traveling on a bus, in a car, on a train or even flying - and between traveling, walking a ways and finally storing at the gig in the tiny space allotted. That's why it's called a gig bag.
  14. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

I am really happy w/Mono at about $200

Edit: I have hard shell cases for travel, but for local stuff the soft is golden in my eyes
  15. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor! Supporting Member

I have a Reunion Blues Continental that I love to death.

Worth the cash. A bit large, but built like a tank.

Last night we had a gig and had to lug our gear through the kitchen and store our crap by the dudes washing pots and pans.

It was around 25 degrees outside and the door kept swinging open and closed all night. Temperature and humidity fluctuations galore.

By the time we made it to the stage, my bass was still at room temp and cozy.

It offers serious protection for normal gig transport. Look at the video online, they toss it off a roof for gods sake.

Regardless if there is a $100 or a $5000 axe in the case, if your gigging, the bass you bring better be up to being played.
  16. derekcbass

derekcbass Supporting Member

iGig is hands down the best $200 I have ever spent. I won't use any other gig bag.
  17. sotua

sotua

Size and weight. I had a Gator ata case that was great (bass arrived unscathed after being lost by an airline and being flown around the US northeast for four days) but it barely fit the trunk of my car, and I had a car with a huge trunk at the time. The car I own right now can't fit a bass case in the trunk, barely in the rear passenger seats. Gig bag, a laptop backpack for my genz Benz shuttle and cables, and my 12" cabs miraculously fit in the trunk. Woo hoo!
  18. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

In my own case, I spent $200 on an Incase DUB, and consider it an outstanding expenditure... I play both 4s and 5s, and take one each to every gig - it is SO much easier to use one high quality double gig bag than it is to use 2 hardshells... I used to be paranoid about using gig bags, due to past bad experiences, but the more expensive "hybrid" gig bags are a huge step up from the ones I've used in the past... I've been using the DUB exclusively for a few months now, averaging 8-10 gigs per month, and my basses are none the worse for it...

If my basses were going in the band trailer, I'd use hardshells - but they're riding in the SUV that's towing the band trailer, and the DUB works SO much better in that situation...

If I had to replace my DUB, I'd probably pony up for an M80 double immediately...

- georgestrings
  19. porterbass

porterbass Supporting Member

I use high-quality "hybrid" gig bags exclusively instead of hard cases. I have 2 Mono M80 Vertigo bags, a Mono M80 Dual, and a Reunion Blues Aero bag. I like that they are lighter in weight, easier to lug around, and also easier to store at home than traditional hard cases. These types of "bags" aren't your traditional gig bags. They have protective, stiff panels built into the cases to provide some rigidity and excellent protection. I'm a freak about taking care of my equipment and completely trust these types of bags/cases. (For reference, I use an $1100 carbon fiber case for travel for my flamenco guitars.) I should also note that two of my basses that go in the Mono M80 Vertigo bags are the Rick Turner Ren 4 and 5 fretless basses with the semi-hollow bodies. I would consider these Turner Rens much more fragile than my Elricks, and I trust the Mono bags.

I also have an Elrick Zero Gravity case that is awesome...lightweight and very protective.
  20. chadds

chadds

For Fenders Reunion Blues.
    For tilted headstock basses I love the Body Glove.

For you all who don't understand you can't wend your way between tables in a crowded club with a hardshell case. You can go to dinner and have it with you. They are a great invention. They offer protection just short of driving a car over your bass.:)

When roadies are throwing stuff or for flights one may need even more than the hardshell case.

Folks with gig bags don't let others touch their bass and throw it around in the van with Fridges in there.:)

They hold them close as if they had no case!
  21. Not yet

Not yet

You feel the Mono has as my husband protection as the Reunion Blues... I'm using the Continental which is great but looking at the 2bass M80.Feels less sturdy comparatively