1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What would make a cool bass body shape?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MX5J6, Nov 13, 2012.

1. MX5J6

MX5J6

I am going to be getting a custom bass built and I am looking for ideas for an interesting bass body shape. Something that won't be too heavy and hopefully still comfortable to play.

I personally found a really interesting picture of a kraken and I am having an estimate done soon to see what it would cost me to have it done. So any other suggestions?
  2. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

3. MX5J6

MX5J6

That's a really good one. I like those a lot. Any specific model you prefer?

Any others?
  4. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Supporting Member

Cthulhu.

Best bass for metal?
  5. MX5J6

MX5J6

The kraken picture I found is pretty metal but cthulhu is a great choice if a decent picture could be found. Lol
  6. Kilometers

Kilometers

Give it a wood body inspired by old ships. Mix it with the kraken idea!
  7. MX5J6

MX5J6

Hmm perhaps. That's a really interesting idea actually. How would you suggest I go about it?
  8. Kilometers

Kilometers

In my head I'm seeing a body inspired by old sailing ships, not necessarily taking the shape of one. Elaborate, bold contours and details. Layered panels forming most of the body. You could have tentacles wrapping through it, maybe even have them as the horns (there's a better term for that but I can't think of it). I think that would look really amazing if you went in a subtle way opposed to making it a very blunt gimmicky bass.
  9. MX5J6

MX5J6

That does sound better than just a kraken designed bass. I will look for a picture and try to sketch something around what you are saying. What shape would look best with an idea like that? Somelike new or something already existing? because i have tried coming up with new shapes and it's not as easy as i assumed. haha
  10. metaball

metaball

Curvey female
  11. Kilometers

Kilometers

Hm, I'd say go traditional, and pretty symmetrical aside from the horns of course. I think a very even oval shaped starting point would work best if you like the ship idea. You don't have to reinvent the bass shape, just make it your own, you know? I'd love to see what you come up with.
  12. MX5J6

MX5J6

Curvy females are ALWAYs an option when designing ANYTHING.
    I can see what you mean. Hmm I may have an idea i think but I will have to see if I can get it on paper without looking horrible. haha
  13. Kilometers

Kilometers

Curvy pinup girl on the headstock? Might as well mix in all the ideas, haha.
  14. MX5J6

MX5J6

haha Possibly, possibly. =p I am sketching something up now, let's see how it turns out...
  15. CnB77

CnB77

Taking inspiration from some Alembic designs would be cool. Some of their basses are ugly, but some are straight up gorgeous!
  16. MX5J6

MX5J6

[​IMG]

That's what I came up with. The tentacles are coming from behind and the rest of the bass has like a pirate sip sort of ook to it. it's horrible but all i could cmeup with at the moment. I am going to ask around and hope someone else canpossibly come up with one better. For now though, thoughts, suggestions?

I don't even know how I'd do the tentacles, maybe seperate pieces of wood that you an actuallyfeel or maybe inlayed in the wood as more of a design?
  17. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

Shaped like a bird.
  18. MX5J6

MX5J6

What kind of bird?

Wondering if i should add at least one more pair of tentacles? though I was already running out of room.
  19. Wallace320

Wallace320

20. Kilometers

Kilometers

I really like where you're going with that. Think the tentacles would work best if they're inlayed, that way they're not bulky or distracting while you play.