1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What would you buy if you had 500 to spend

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ToonD, Jan 19, 2014.

1. ToonD

ToonD

Imagine having a good bass and a good amp setup that you're happy with, and you're given a 500 dollar gift card for any music store. What would YOU buy? A second bass? Some effects? A normal guitar? A 5/6/7/12.. String to have some fun with? A cheaper fretless? Another instrument to experiment with?

(Apologies if this has been covered and if it's in the wrong sub forum, mods, feel free to adjust/move/delete)

Shoot!
  2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

i'd sell my "good" bass,
    add the proceeds to the $500.00,
    then buy a much better bass!;)
  3. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Save it, if I had saved from the beginning instead of buying slightly better basses I would have gotten my dream bass years sooner than I would have. Although buying a couple packs of strings and keeping the remaining 400$ to save isn't a bad idea either.
  4. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

maybe some effects or some basic recording software with a USB device like the M-Audio fast track that I had.
  5. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I'm currently saving my beans for a new powered monitor, So that's what I'd spend it on. I agree with the idea of saving it if there is nothing on your current "gotta have it list".
  6. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

a warmoth custom jazz bass neck
  7. Marial

Marial Proud Papa-to-be Supporting Member

Assuming I could spend it on what I wanted to spend it on, a Strymon Timeline. I'd probably put it into savings, though.
  8. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

I'd buy more silver.
    Or ammunition.

Bass related though?
    Probably a small class D amp.
    Like the GK MB500 or similar.
  9. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    So it's a $500 gift card, not cash. I'd probably get a new micro amp of some kind.
  10. Stumbo

Stumbo Supporting Member

One of the Zoom recorders and a 6 string acoustic.
  11. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

Get a nicely worn MIM Precision, then drop the rest on a hot 60s RI pickup and vintage style hardware (reverse tuners, threaded bridge saddles, etc). Pretty much a Road Worn for half the price.
  12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Can't really answer that without some more info about what the situation is ... for someone in a band maybe a second bass is a good idea, for someone mostly playing in the bedroom maybe a good headphone amp and a pair of headphones, or a multieffect pedal to have fun with.

Or stock up on boring things like strings and music lessons.

For a third option - $500 is a lot of beer ... ;)