What would you do to this guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wraub, Feb 1, 2014.

1. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    So, as some of you might surmise, I am a bass player.
    However, I also am a guitar owner. Not
    really a guitar player, mind you. I can use a guitar, but am not a guitar player, if you dig.

This is my guitar. It is neither fancy or expensive. But it is a guitar. It actually plays really well, sounds good, and was acquired cheaply. Turns out it has some very minor collector's value, so, it's got that going for it, which is nice.

However, to me, it's appearance leaves a lot to be desired.
    It has been described as looking like a cheap accordion, a Cuban wedding, or a quinceanera dress. The sticker is on there to hide some finish damage, and add, ummm, "something." You may possibly note the "mxpx" sticker outline, that was there when I got it. It's worse under the sticker that's on there now.

I am looking for honest opinions as to how to make it less garish. I am sure I'll get suggestions ranging from changing the pickguard to re-enacting the Buscemi role from Fargo. I am ok with that.

Anyone care to play along?

[​IMG]

Thanks, kiddies!
  2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Black always works. Otherwise, just be honest about its origins and play it.
  3. skwee

skwee

How about a darker green pickguard?
  4. bassteban

bassteban

Post about it in a music-related forum
  5. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Tort. Seriously. Would look classy and understated, as compared to that garish pearl one. And lose the sticker.
  6. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    Not exactly music related imo, more of a "look at this and comment on its appearance" kinda thing. Seemed OT to me...
  7. bassteban

bassteban

Well, it is a guitar(a *musical* instrument- in some hands:D)& this is *off-topic* so I am rather tempted to reply *mount skateboard trucks & wheels and kick-flip to indie grind on the cat* ;)

Just to be nice(ish)I'll say that aside from the lil Egyptian dude, I like it quite a bit
  8. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

I like the surf green and white pearl. But that sticker has got to go.

Maybe do a google image search on "surf green Stratocaster" and see what other pickguard colors look good.
  9. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    Have done that, seems the mother of toilet seat white or black are the fave choices. Also saw a mint green that looked ... ok.
  10. deeptubes

deeptubes

Cover it with stickers!
  11. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

And of course keep the old pickguard in case the Tom Delonge model is ever really valuable, or if the next buyer will pay more for it stock.

I now remember seeing those years back and thinking that was a neat idea, a hard tail Strat with a single pickup and one knob.
  12. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    Yes, it is a Delonge, and while that does a very small something in favor of the "collectability", it seems to be worth more as a hardtail body. I took off the Delonge labeled neck plate, but still have it.

And yes, a decider for me was the essential simplicity of this design, especially as I am really more of a rhythm guitar player and never use a trem. Plus, it really does play and sound good.

Just can't get past the looks. Plus, the finish seems to fall off pretty easily...
    Don't know if that's just this run of guitars or what, but have seen other surf green models online doing the same.
  13. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    Hmmm... I actually have some old trucks and wheels in the garage.

Not totally ruling it out. :D
  14. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

Buy a lampshade for it?
  15. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    Well, I guess it was "musical" enough to be Misc. after all.
  16. Auzzie-Phoenix

Auzzie-Phoenix

Have it refinished.. maybe Teal green metallic (fender custom shop color #45), black pg, perhaps a small graphic decal on the pg with some clear on top to keep it from peeling, or have a design etched into the pg.
  17. bolg55

bolg55

I'll buy it from you if you decide it's just too unbearable to look at :)
  18. cnltb

cnltb

Looks ok to me!
    I'd just get rid of that sticker.
    That's it.
  19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

If it is somewhat collectable leave it alone even the sticker because removing the sticker can take paint with it and don't store picks under your guard.
  20. Ifriff

Ifriff

I like the guitar a lot! Don't do a thing to it! Looks like a Semour Duncan Invader pup in there! Nice! I love just one humbucker at the bridge with just a volume. That's all I really need.

The guitar looks so cool to me. Even the sticker. The pick guard is awesome! Let the paint chip and flake when and where it wants. That gives it individual character. Sweet!

Don't do anything to it but changing strings and play that damn thing.

Very nice. Leave it. Please