1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What would you do? vintage fender/ebay deal-Misleading?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A-Step-Towards, Feb 4, 2013.

1. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I have been looking for a Mid 70's J bass for a LONG time and I finally found one on ebay. With older basses I tend o buy in person but this guy assured me all was original except the badass II bridge. We discusses originality through messages and that his friend was the original owner and would try to find the original covers, which besides the badass II was the only missing parts.

He even stated in the ad the following (yes is caps as well)

IT IS ALL ORIGINAL EXCEPT FOR AN UPGRADE OF A BADASS BRIDGE.THE TUNERS, PICKUPS, CONTROLS, PICK GUARD, CASE, ECT.... ALL ORIGINAL. THE ONLY THING NON ORIGINAL IS THE BADASS BRIDGE WHICH IS AN UPGRADE AND A GREAT ASSET TO THIS BASS FOR TONE AND PLAYING

The issues
    Here is what I found upon getting it:

1.) the pickguard, control plate and pickup height screws are all way over larged flathead screws. Total incorrect, they look like crap and honestly I coudnt see these in details in the pictures.

2.) the volume pots, both of them are not original. They are stamped M250kA 88. The tone pot is original and stamped 1377607 which dates to early '76.

3.) The pickup wires have been disconnected and thus the pickups have been removed along with a new ground wire put in, the pickups appear correct but I havent had a close look.

4.) It has the common first fret inlay crack and repair, this however doesnt happen to every jazz and wasnt disclosed.

5.) If you look closely there are no holes for the bridge cover, they have been filled and the whole finish on the face looks weird compared to the back.

6.) The inside cavities of the pickups and control plate are black ,I didnt think they were painted black stock? anyone know? the finish on the face of the bass just looks weird compared to the back.

My question-Should I be okay with this based on the description of the badass II being the only non original piece? I paid a decent sum for this and expected it as the seller described. I was automatically applaud when I opened it and felt like I totally overpaid as I would not have paid what I did if I knew of its issues.

Thanks, your opinions are welcome and I know some will feel I should just keep it etc. The fact is either way I paid for a bass that I was lead to believe was correct in all ways besides the bridge and got something different. If I were to sell it I would loose a decent amount I believe.
    [​IMG]
  2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    This looks like the same bass that I was going to watch until I noticed the crack that you mentioned and the fact that the finish didn't look right. It was visible in one of the pictures. I would put in a claim and try to return it for a refund. (By the way, I think you meant "Appalled" which means dismayed or horrified, not "applaud" which means to show approval by clapping).
  3. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

hels no! If it has a lot of incorrect things going on with it send it back--just my opinion of course and I have no experience in the vintage market---but come on!
  4. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    Still looks like a nice bass. I would fix the issues and call it a lesson learned.
  5. A-Step-Towards

Iphone:(

Yeah the pics sucked , lesson learned dont buy vintage online.
  6. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

submit Ebay & Paypal disputes for Item not as described. ASAP
  7. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

It seems he flat-out lied to you. You should definitely file a dispute, and can still chalk this up as a lesson learned.
  8. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Send it back. It was not as described and the seller either mislead you on purpose or is complete moron.

If you paid less than $1000 and the bass plays/sounds good, I might consider keeping it.
  9. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

If I were in your shoes, I'd:

1) Try contacting the seller and seek a refund in the amount you feel you'd stand to lose if you re-sold it. If that fails,

2) Attempt to return it for a full refund.

You may get what you're looking for without the flaws for approx the same price you paid for that. I know you said you've been watching for awhile, so you'll have to be patient longer.

Good luck. I'm sorry this happened to you.
  10. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Agreed. Do not let him get away with this. He basically let you know the only OBVIOUS thing. It isn't as described. Let him know you want a refund however that is done (escrow with eBay?). If he doesn't get back to you quickly start the official dispute process with Paypal/Ebay. Or if you do want it, a refund of X dollars...
  11. ShowLow

ShowLow Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

^^^ This. Don't mess around with partial refunds. Send it back and get your money back. If the Evil Bay doesn't support you, I'd be shocked.

This is gross misrepresentation and the seller should be ashamed. :spit:
  12. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

Get a full refund! Something does look wrong with the finish. Screws that are to big???? NOT ORIGINAL!! Do what ever you have to do to get ALL of your money back. You haven't waited this long to get THIS bass! Believe me...if you're disappointed now, it's only going to get worse over time!
  13. rootsnfifths

rootsnfifths Supporting Member

^^^^RIGHT THERE..EXACTLY. ASAP. Please contact Ebay as soon as possible. No excuse for this seller to mislead you. He/she in my opinion is no moron. Just a crook. Turn him in as I am sure you payed good money for what you thought was 99% original.
  14. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

WHAT!!?? Worst advice ever!!!!!!!!!

OP - the guy scammed you. Don't ask for a partial refund. Demand your money back. The seller has no choice, ebay will force him to refund your money. And it won't cost you to ship it back. Under ebay's customer satisfaction policy, ebay will send you a shipping label, so you won't have to pay for return shipping. Do not let this guy get away with this. Sellers like that give ebay a bad name.
  15. topo morto

topo morto

Do you still like the bass? If so, you could make it the seller's decision - he can refund you the difference between what you paid and what it's worth, or you'll need a full refund.

If I were you I would keep the list of discrepancies you mention only to the things you are absolutely sure of and can back up/prove.That way everything is nice and simple and factual - you didn't get what you paid for, so you need a refund.

Even if you suspect dishonesty, don't accuse anyone of it. Act as though the seller was selling it in good faith as he believed it to be. If you do that and stick to the facts, there's nowhere for any ill feeling to creep in. In theory :)
  16. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

17. Bongolation

Bongolation

Not really, but bad enough -- and totally common for TB, unfortunately. :rollno:

Never accept misrepresented merchandise. Never.
  18. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

+1
  19. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

I guess my biggest concern would be whether the pickups are original. Pots shouldn't make any difference, or screws, if you're buying it to be a player. The front of the bass looks like it might have been exposed to something like water or even some kind of cleaning compound that funked it up. Do you have a better, closer picture of the front of the body?
  20. A-Step-Towards

As you can see from the auction above this was said to be all original , barely used etc. What I got was funky, there is come copper wiring running from the bridge to the bridge pickup and then grounding in the cavity. So much little crap that really adds up in terms of its value.

That said I paid $1730 with shipping and I couldnt even get the guy to send me the tracking number. I do like the bass and it plays nicely but honestly I would have paid $1200 for it in this condition.