What would you do with this old amp? My first amp. 200 watts of exploding power!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tastybasslines, Nov 14, 2012.

1. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

This was my very first amp, from 17 years ago. The amp is OK, but not very loud and can barely hang for practice. It gets hot and then shuts down for 5 minutes. I can then turn the amp back on and resume playing until it overheats again. The speaker is very tired, and has little punch, even when it's in full operation. Knowing then what I know now, I would have not gotten it in the first place. It's extremely heavy. In short, I'm just not going to use it anymore and haven't been for a while as I already have a GK 15" combo, and that's all I need for now. I need the space and need to get rid of this. I had planned to replace the speaker and see if I could restore it as I absolutely LOVE the actual cab part and the padded sparkle, but balancing work/family/school and everything else under the sun...I just don't have the energy.

If you were going to sell it, what would you offer it for? How would you sell it? I really hate to give this up and would keep it if I had the storage space, but I just don't. :crying: What would you do if this was yours?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An ad of the Amp.

[​IMG]

2. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I'd keep it, but then again, I am a hoarder. The cab is too cool to get rid of. I'd load a better speaker in it and fix the cooling.

Psst.....this might qualify as a "what's it worth" thread. In the condition you describe....I'd say not much.

3. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Thanks, anyone else?

I'm torn...

4. JebDude

JebDude

If I wasn't half a country away, I'd offer something for it and tinker with it. But, not with shipping charges.

JB

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I'd clean it out and maybe remount the transistors on the heat sink, should sort the overheating problem. I'd probably sort it to run cabs, but I basically don't do combos.

7. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    That's a keeper! Find a good tech and have it gone through. keep it for your living room or whatever. you've had it this long!

8. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

I agree with the above posts, you've had it a long time and it's really quite cool :cool:

Definitely change the speaker and see if an amp tech can't help you sort out what's going on w/the overheating. Maybe all it'll take is a fan, OTOH proper heatsinking and new trannies are probably what's in order.

Edit: it's really biamped? How much to the horn? If so, I'd see about dropping in a 5" or 6" cone mid driver. Would have to change the xover freq, though, easy enough to figure out what resistor/capacitor combo needs changing, esp. if you have the schematic.

9. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Yeah, id keep it too... Replace the driver if its bad, maybe pull the amplifier and install a GK mb200 or other micro amp in its place. Its your first amp, why not??? :)

10. Peepaleep

Peepaleep Supporting Member

If kitty likes it, it's no longer yours to sell/trade/toss/whatever :)