What would you do?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bradjonesbass, Nov 29, 2012.

1. bradjonesbass

bradjonesbass

I have played with a singer/guitarist off and on for a couple of years now. Basically, he books gigs where he needs a band and calls me, a drummer and lead guitarist, sometimes a keyboardist if he can afford it. Sends a set list and basic charts and we just show up and jam. I played with him a month ago, 2 weeks ago and have another gig scheduled next Friday. Two weeks ago he wrote me a check covering that night, the night two weeks before and half of December 7. Check bounced, as did the guitarist's, who I brought in, and the drummer's. He claims bank's fault, supposed to meet us tonight to pay us. No shows us... Get a text an hour later saying his dad had a heart attack and he'll pay us all in cash at the gig before we set up... I sent his sister a message on Facebook saying I was sorry to hear about her dad and hoped he recovered soon... Her reply? Huh? I have a feeling we're going to get screwed either way, but I know the only hope we have of getting paid is showing up next week - it's in Lafayette, IN, which is about a 3 hour drive... What would you do? BTW, check was for $375...
  2. backup

backup

make his dad really have a heart attack and he will forever regret lying to you
  3. bradjonesbass

bradjonesbass

I'm too nice for that. We've all decided that this will be our LAST gig if we do it at all, but are considering just no-show, no-calling him and calling it a day... Problem is it's a really cool club we were looking forward to playing and the three of us are considering doing a Govmt Mule type thing as a trio. This club - Knickerbockers - is high on our list of potential gigs, so meeting the manager and doing that whole thing may be worth the headache.
  4. electracoyote

electracoyote

Cash up front from now on. Pull up to the venue and sit there in your car until he shows up and puts cash in your hand. Then unload and set up. No cash, no gig. Drive away.

Or keep letting this guy play you like a fiddle.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DieterVDW

DieterVDW

If you want to play the club and have fun, go for it!
    But I wouldn't hesitate to make it really clear up-front that he'd better have the money, or else... Put him under so much pressure that he can't just show up with another lame excuse.

Sounds like a chronical liar to me. What kind of sick person makes up a story about his dad having a heart attack? He's either twisted, or I hope the communication with the sister was a miscommunication. (Is he on drugs or something... Sjeez...)
  7. Rockbassist4

Rockbassist4

I wouldn't do the gig. He owes you money and its a long ride. I left a band that was touring and opening for some well known artists because I wasn't getting paid as agreed.
  8. bradjonesbass

bradjonesbass

He's a horse's (butt)... He's never pulled anything like this before - at least with me. In fact he's paid me for weather cancellations on outdoor gigs when I never left the house before. This however, is the end of this musical relationship.
  9. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Knickerbockers is a cool old venue, but I wouldn't drive across the state to see whether he'll pay so we could play there.

He has a week to pay you in Ft. Wayne. In your shoes, I'd be asking for the back pay now, in a friendly, but just-business manner. Depending on my relationship w/ the BL, I might suggest that we can work out a (short) timetable if for some reason he can't swing the money now. But even that might require some collateral, given his recent track-record.
  10. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 I'm no gynecologist but I'll take a look. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Commercial FREE!
    Explain the situation to management at Knickerbockers. Ask if the dud(e) has been paid upfront. Ask management to let you G'Mule it without said dud(e).

And call Knickerbockers to verify you really are scheduled for that night.

http://www.knickerbockersaloon.com/shows/calendar

X8
  11. Auguste

Auguste

I would be tempted to buy a get well card for the guy's father and deliver it personally.
  12. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I'd give him one more chance. Go there and try to do the gig but don't set up until until $$ is in hand as suggested by electracoyote. If this behaviour is out of character for him then something may have happened to him.
  13. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

It sounds to me like this guy's run into some kind of money trouble, from which I would infer that you probably don't stand much of a chance of getting paid. Which sucks. But I don't think I'd be inclined to drive three hours to find out.

If the gig were local, I personally might play it, just to establish a connection with the club. But for a three-hour drive? No way.

My advice regarding no-show, no-calling him: don't. Be the professional. Definitely call him. I think your best bet is to make clear to him that all of you need all of the money owed, plus the money for the upcoming gig, before you'll even consider loading the car.
  14. Jeb

Jeb

Hey Brad, if the gig in Lafayette is worth the drive, and the 375 owed is on top of that, I'd probably be inclined to do that. I mean, you get nothing if you stay home for sure. But I understand your frustration, I'd be more than a little tilted and that 3 hours drive might be enough time for you to think out a plan B if it doesn't work out. Which it may not, the guy is a liar. You present a very good question though, a real bummer.
  15. bolophonic

bolophonic

I would get paid.
  16. Jeb

Jeb

Great! How would you go about doing that exactly?
  17. DougBass

DougBass Supporting Member

I would make him pay me, and at least the travel cost of the other show prior to the trip. Have a Mule set ready if he doesn't show. You can save the day, and bring the rock for the management.
  18. Jeb

Jeb

Doug, how would you "make him pay.." you? Thats the whole point of the thread. So how would you do that?

Thanks.
  19. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

This is what I'd do. It's pretty apparent the guy doesn't ever plan on paying you, but if he does come through before you even load the stuff in the car then I'd consider doing the gig. Just be professional about it.
  20. DougBass

DougBass Supporting Member

Sorry for lack of clarity. I would not proceed with the other gig until he paid me for the prior gigs, and the travel cost of the next. You can really only hold out on working and tell the truth to other musicians if asked for a referral. Didn't mean to sound like you should rough him up or anything.
  21. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

That's what I'd do too. Tell him a few hours before the gig (no time for him to get someone else) that if you're not paid what you're owed, you won't be going on. It's blackmail, I know, but he's a liar so he deserves it. After the gig, give this clown a big miss.

I always make sure I have money to pay people straight after a gig. Even if I have a problem getting paid from the management, I pay the band out of my own pocket. That's how it should be with the sort of situation you're talking about. A bricklayer wouldn't put up with not being paid, so why should a bass player?