What would you pay for a 1960 Fender P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maxdusty, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

There's an upcoming auction in the Detroit area. One item is a 1960s Fender P Bass that seems to be in decent shape albeit dismantled. Just trying to determine the value of the bass and wondering if there are certain colors that are more desireable over others. Chances are it's out of my price range, but being an auction in Detroit, you never know. I've won quite a few items in auctions at bids far below I thought the items would go for. I have a very rough idea of how much this may be worth, but I'm not 100% sure so I thought I'd check with the Fender experts here on TB to get their feedback. I don't know too much about this auction but if I have the opportunity, I may check it out.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msd/4237556428.html
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Technically you need to be a supporting member to get price quotes, but this thread sounds fun, so we shall see if it gets deleted.

Personally, I wouldn't pay nearly what they are worth, because they are not worth it to me. I would like to see some more detailed photos but it could fetch $4,000 it could fetch $12,000. Is there a reserve?
  3. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    I wouldn't pay over 7k for a 1960 P....not really a "revolutionary" year for a major change or anything. That being said....if you ever have the chance to bid on a 1960 Jazz(its birth year)....now that is a different story!!! I doubt there a many still floating around in decent shape that is all original. Alot of those old fenders got modded and hot rodded with different bridges, pickups, and other hardware.
  4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

It looks like a nice sized auction you may be able to steal it for around $3500.00 I personally wouldn't go more than $5000.00.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Terrible photo. I can't tell if it's been refinished or if it's a custom color.

[​IMG]
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I thought it was bar smoke white...
  8. Maxdusty

I was thinking it'll go lower than 3K as auctions here seem to err a little on the low side of things. All it takes though is one guitar collector with substantial funds to show up here to change all that. (As there are 80 vintage guitars/basses up for auction.) There are other basses including a Kramer with aluminum neck that's catching my eye. A few guitars that look interesting. If I can get out of a prior commitment, I have to go to this. here's a listing of the guitar auction with pics of other instruments including this one.
    http://www.dougdaltonauctioneer.com/page10.html

Edit: That's what makes me a little unsure about the possible value of the P-bass- the color, looks to be off white that didn't age all too well.
  9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Looks like an old refin.

[​IMG]
  10. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

It lacks the paint stick spot so I would say refin.

The best P bass I had was a 59 and It was just plain great.

Keep in mind the bass is disassemble. It might need significant work.

Check the truss rod for how close to flush it is.

As far as what it's worth when people start talking many thousands of dollars for a piece of wood and wires I lose focus and really don't know.

I was at a show one year and a dealer had a Les Paul for half a mill. I asked how do you know it's real.

I just guess.

Go for the auction and let the board know what happens.
    Who knows, you might get the Funk Machine in disguise!
  11. Maxdusty

Sadly.. looks like it. May have to redirect my bids elsewhere unless this goes for a song.
    Thanks guys!
  12. mongo2

mongo2

According to this site...Vintage Fender Custom Colors...Fender didn't start using the paint stick until around '64. (search for the word "stick" on the page).
  13. lz4005

lz4005

I don't think it's a refin. In the layers you can see the white primer they used pre-CBS, the white paint, and then a ton of smoke damage. All in the right place, when you consider some of the wear happened after the smoke discoloration.

What I don't get is why they would have left it disassembled after verifying the dates. They're either stupid or hiding something.
  14. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

This made me lol.
  15. Maxdusty

oops.. for the spelling... my eyboard sticks.

or if in reference to lower prices here in Detroit.. well, a house can be bought here for $1500. So, a house or a bass, hard decision.:)

I'll put my fate in the Bass Gods' hands on this one, if I make it to the auction and perchance the other bidders fall asleep when this item goes up for bid, we'll see. Great and useful info all. Thanks. Yes, funny how it's the only guitar/bass they took a picture of dismantled like that. wonder why..
  16. BawanaRik

Wow, thanks. That's good to know.
  17. BawanaRik

Hopefully our man in Motown will get the bass for cheap and we'll find out which.

I know where my money will be going.
  18. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I would think it would be HARDER to hide something disassembled. You can still check the truss rod with no tension so that is a not issue. They probably received it in that condition. Either that or they pretty much assumed that high dollar bidders would want to see for themselves the pot date codes, neck pocket, neck date etc. You can even easily slide the neck into the pocket to make sure there isn't a 1/4" gap on both sides without any problem.
  19. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Is that even a colour? How does a finish age so weirdly?
  20. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, that's a very nice bass that looks all original to me. if it is all original (and I believe that it is), it's easily worth $7-10K.
  21. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

I would get the pickguard screwed back down pronto.