1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What would you use?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ninerfan, Sep 15, 2013.

1. ninerfan

ninerfan

Getting ready to record some tracks and have some options. Here's what I have:
    SM57
    Audix D4 (have mic set for drums, heard D4 was best for bass)
    Ampeg SVT-II DI
    GT The Brick
    ART MPA Gold with Ruby tubes
    Presonus FP10

I'm thinking of recording 3 tracks:
    1) Brick --> interface
    2) SM57 --> MPA --> interface
    3) D4 --> MPA --> interface

My questions are:
    Is the brick an improvement over the SVT-II DI?
    Is the Brick an improvement over the ART?
    Should I even bother with the SM57?
    Should I use the ART for the mics or the Presonus Pre's?

Oh, I'm using US Fender Jazzes (Standard with NJ4's and '06 Deluxe) --> SVT-II --> Berg NV610. We play Rock, think Black Crowes, Zepp, ect...

Thanks for your help!

2. funkybassinator

funkybassinator

If you use effects or are considering reamping, i'd use the cleanest/most transparent DI you can get your hands on for initial tracking. This will also let you experiment with mic choice/placement on your cab at a later time, although that of course means more hours on your bill.

If you're happy with the sound of your bass DI'd to the board, I'd go with whatever DI/pre you like the most.

3. Borzi_4

Borzi_4

I think balancing the D4, SM57 along with a DI (I would use the Brick over the amp DI in case it isn't post-preamp) would yield good results. My best recorded sound has come from using a Sanheiser 421 and a DI.Good luck!

4. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Disclaimer: I am not a fan of my bass tone when DI'd.

I've recorded using your exact same setup several times (including using your old compresor:D).

Typically we'll mic a couple speakers --57's are nice for midrange and presence, I remember some of the kick mic's having a bit of a scoop, and throw it into a compressor and then into the board.

I can't comment on the quality of the DI on the SVT-II compared to the alternatives as I have never been able to get my sound with any of the DI's I've used...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ninerfan

ninerfan

I will probably use a Polish Love pedal for a little grit and a Bass-driver for a little dirt in some sections. I will be experimenting, but I 'm pretty sure I will end up with a blend of DI and mic.
    The Brick is my friend's. He's letting me try it out before I decide to buy it or not. I don't want to spend $ i don't need to. If it isn't better than the SVT's DI, I don't need it.
    The D4 is a floor tom mic and isn't as scooped as the D6. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the responses so far!

When's Breakhouse's next gig? I'm working on a new project, first gig to come soon;)

7. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Ultimately I think it comes down do whether you like the sound of your bass or you like the sound of your bass through your rig. I am definitely of the second camp. I bought my NV610 (after seeing yours ;)) and am really happy with what it adds, or takes away, or whatever.

It can't hurt to grab a DI recording assuming that you'll have enough inputs to work with. Do you have a second set of trusted ears to work with?