1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What would you use?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ninerfan, Sep 15, 2013.

1. ninerfan

ninerfan

Getting ready to record some tracks and have some options. Here's what I have:
    SM57
    Audix D4 (have mic set for drums, heard D4 was best for bass)
    Ampeg SVT-II DI
    GT The Brick
    ART MPA Gold with Ruby tubes
    Presonus FP10

I'm thinking of recording 3 tracks:
    1) Brick --> interface
    2) SM57 --> MPA --> interface
    3) D4 --> MPA --> interface

My questions are:
    Is the brick an improvement over the SVT-II DI?
    Is the Brick an improvement over the ART?
    Should I even bother with the SM57?
    Should I use the ART for the mics or the Presonus Pre's?

Oh, I'm using US Fender Jazzes (Standard with NJ4's and '06 Deluxe) --> SVT-II --> Berg NV610. We play Rock, think Black Crowes, Zepp, ect...

Thanks for your help!
  2. funkybassinator

funkybassinator

If you use effects or are considering reamping, i'd use the cleanest/most transparent DI you can get your hands on for initial tracking. This will also let you experiment with mic choice/placement on your cab at a later time, although that of course means more hours on your bill.

If you're happy with the sound of your bass DI'd to the board, I'd go with whatever DI/pre you like the most.
  3. Borzi_4

Borzi_4

I think balancing the D4, SM57 along with a DI (I would use the Brick over the amp DI in case it isn't post-preamp) would yield good results. My best recorded sound has come from using a Sanheiser 421 and a DI.Good luck!
  4. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Disclaimer: I am not a fan of my bass tone when DI'd.

I've recorded using your exact same setup several times (including using your old compresor:D).

Typically we'll mic a couple speakers --57's are nice for midrange and presence, I remember some of the kick mic's having a bit of a scoop, and throw it into a compressor and then into the board.

I can't comment on the quality of the DI on the SVT-II compared to the alternatives as I have never been able to get my sound with any of the DI's I've used...
  5. ninerfan

ninerfan

I will probably use a Polish Love pedal for a little grit and a Bass-driver for a little dirt in some sections. I will be experimenting, but I 'm pretty sure I will end up with a blend of DI and mic.
    The Brick is my friend's. He's letting me try it out before I decide to buy it or not. I don't want to spend $ i don't need to. If it isn't better than the SVT's DI, I don't need it.
    The D4 is a floor tom mic and isn't as scooped as the D6. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the responses so far!

When's Breakhouse's next gig? I'm working on a new project, first gig to come soon;)
  6. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Ultimately I think it comes down do whether you like the sound of your bass or you like the sound of your bass through your rig. I am definitely of the second camp. I bought my NV610 (after seeing yours ;)) and am really happy with what it adds, or takes away, or whatever.

It can't hurt to grab a DI recording assuming that you'll have enough inputs to work with. Do you have a second set of trusted ears to work with?