What year is my Gibson EBO?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adamiscole, Aug 11, 2012.

1. adamiscole

adamiscole

I've had this Gibson EBO for some time now but am just now getting to the point of really trying to figure out what year it is.. It kind of looks like a walnut finish but I think it's older than '72 when I guess that's when they started doing that.. I say that because it has the crown emblem on the headstock.. Also I've noticed some really minor pinkish/red chips of paint (which i've enclosed with the pics) on the guitar which makes me think it might have been refinished.. and speaking of, this might be why i can't read the serial number too well, which if I had to gues says 28755 or 28756..really hard to tell though.. Also there are no marks indicating a bridge cover or strings cover.. here's the pics and any help is greatly appreciated.. thanks

http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg14/adamiscole/Gibson EBO/
  2. THE SAW

THE SAW

I'm NO expert, but you've got an interesting mix of characteristics. The headstock emblem is older-much older, early 60's. The bridge is more mid 60's two point (and missing the mute device of course) and a 5 digit #beginning with "2" (1961??)is VERY early 60's. Tuners look early/ mid 60's (like my 1965)

HMMMMM......How does she play? Others chime in please! Very interesting what happens to these instruments over the years. For example, my 1965 has no thumb-rest and no holes, so we know the guard has to be from a later period.

Best,
    S.A.W.
  3. cynic_al

cynic_al

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

Pickup is from the early-Mid 70's.

As said, looks to be refinished.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. D.M.N.

D.M.N.

As stated, the bridge appears to be mid-60s chrome plated, while the tuners look to me more like the earlier nickel coated version. The knobs look to be the later 60s style. The inlay position (not central) indicates early 64 or earlier. The neck joint, where it joins the body, is the original style, used up until the end of '65. It should have holes for a metal string cover midway between the pickup and the bridge, as well as a thumbrest, which were included until at least 1969 (in 68 the cover moved to cover the bridge). So most of this dates it to a pre-65 bass, with possibly replaced knobs and bridge. However, the major thing is the Pickup. That is most definitely a 70s pickup. Starting in 69 they added the ring around them, as well as the Gibson name on the cover. You can see the pickup ring and pick guard don't quite match, and the earlier 60s pickups had larger covers. So, overall, to me it looks to be a pre-65 bass, with previously mentioned replaced parts, and a 70s Gibson pickup.

Regarding the color, I'm not so sure it's a refin. I've seen other examples of the older EBs in cherry that fade to a similar brown. Example
    [​IMG]
  7. adamiscole

adamiscole

Man alot of good info here.. thanks alot..

the serial pics ARE pretty worthless but it definitely starts with a 2.. interesting point about the color fade too..
    It plays good.. I go it set up awhile back from a trusted friend.. definitely has that rumbly sound and not just cuz i got flat wounds on it
    good to know about the pick up too.. startng to realize why ive had alittle trouble approximating it's age..

Definitely not going o sell i anytime soon but does anyone have any idea about what kind of value this thing has?
  8. Al3x

Al3x

*drool*
  9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

+1
  10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    even though alot of the cherry ones fade to a brownish walnut, your's is definitely a refin. i've never seen an original finish with that much grain relief (they used grain filler), and i can see where they sanded it down and it's no longer as crisp as a stock one around all of the edges, so it appears to be a 61-65 that's been refinned with the pickup (& bezel) and knobs replaced from a '69 or later.
  11. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It sure is nice!