What you think about this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by prbrianpr, Nov 22, 2012.

1. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

2. tmdazed

tmdazed

I spent a little time with one at a music store a while back , if one came up for the right price I would scoop it. nice player (IMO) and sustain for days
  3. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

not have neck dive??? (It is balanced?)
  4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Whenever I see people buying basses that have unusual shapes I always wonder if they are buying it because of the way it looks or the way it sounds and plays. It is worth the money if you like the feel and sound. In that price range I prefer Ibanez but ESP makes some very nice basses too.
  5. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

Yeah Kmonk thats true but for me the look is a lot important too, Anyway I live in PR so in this island not sell basses, only the crappy ones. I only can buy it online thats why I question a lot. I appreciate your help
  6. tmdazed

tmdazed

never had any neck dive that I experienced, But Caveat, my experience with online purchases , you may as well take it in or do yourself , a good setup , never had one that plays like I want out of the box

I like unique shapes , but I buy based on tone and playability, funky shape is a big bonus. Not everyone wants to play a generic Fender P or J. I say Generic because THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME with slight paint variances , I don't like the way either plays and the necks always feel like a tree stump to me ,
  7. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

For $700+ you can do a lot better.
  8. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

I love a lot of basses but they are in the $2,000 + range and I dont have all that money to spend in a bass, maybe when I get paid as bassist in the future. And yeah I dont like the generic shape for playing metal, I love something exotic, I am thinking in the thunderbird pro V, but this bass have a extra inch 35" vs 34" there is the point. I love the shape of the two basses
  9. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

They are not making the T Bird 5 anymore.
    Do not buy a bass on looks alone.
    Look at what most of the big name metal players use.
    Warwick and Spector are the main ones.
    You can get a used Spector Euro for the price of that ESP
  10. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

still Musician friend have the T Bird pro V for sell. m not sure of used basses :/
  11. smogg

smogg

12. bootsox

bootsox

I had that attitude when I first started, but it seems like nearly any used bass is in nearly as good condition as they would be new.
  13. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

A BIG +1

FWIW - I've owned 2 ESP LTD B series 5ers, and didn't think the quality was all that good - both having only medeorce fretwork (at best); one with a short in the EQ, and the other with a raw wood showing on (part of) the side of the neck because the wood blank they used was too small.

Another thing to know is the neck is considerably thick (front to back) with a uncomfortable profile I thought.

Before you buy - check out the Ibanez SR5; 505, 605, 705. Like the LTD - they have active 3band EQ, but with a Bart system, and the neck is a lot nicer feeling (thinner), and the quality is much better IMO.
  14. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

Wow Solarmist thats bad considering that I own a $250 Stagg bass and it doesnt have any problem with the wood or frets, the tone pot doesnt works but I change it to active EQ. Also have crappy pickups but what you can spect for $250 bass. If I gonna pay $600-$700 for a bass, better that it is a good bass from factory. I dont worry about setup, I change mine regulary the action and those things my book says how to do it.