1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What's a good bass for small hands?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Twenty2AcaciaAv, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Twenty2AcaciaAv

Twenty2AcaciaAv

I currently have two basses. My main one is the Schecter Stilleto custom, which I love. One of the many reasons I love it is because of the thin neck. My other bass is a relatively cheep 2001 Ibanez GSR 200, which as a not-so-thin neck.

Anyways, I want to replace the Ibanez with a bass more fitting to my hands (and that's a better quality).

What would be a good bass to get? The Schecter Stargazer has caught my eye by I've only seen picks and "jumbo frets" make me think that it doens't have a thin neck like the Stilleto.

Anyways, my range is anywhere from $350 to $750. And let's just for now talk about new basses, not used (although I'm not opposed to getting something used). Any suggestions?

2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja

Media:
    I'm real happy with my Ibanez Mikro, it's way cheaper than your price range, but you could always mod it. And it's really a joy to play on, no sloppy strings or anything despite the short measure.
    I also had a Jerry Jones Longhorn which I was really happy with. Maybe you can find one used within your price range.

3. profdave

profdave

Good Morning - a short scale bass that's worth a look is a used Guild - guitarist love these basses because the transition from guitar to bass is much easier. The Guilds are also high quality and fairly high priced. There are a few very good short scale bass options but I think that's the zone to watch. Dave

4. bassgod94

bassgod94

I have small hands and I play on a Jay Turser violin body, however this won't really be an "upgrade" from yours almost any violin body bass is good for small hands, I bought this one because it was cheap and not a full hollow body

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. spade2you

spade2you

Technique technique technique. With good technique, even kids can play a 3/4 upright.

7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

It's kinda funny. I have pretty small hands, but I feel most comfortable on a P bass. When I pick up a Jazz, it feels too thin for my hands...weird, I know.

I don't think your hands should limit anything. Mike Gordon from Phish is a phenomenal bassist and musician with tiny hands (he talks about it in his book) and he can rock a Modulus 5 stringer like no one's business.

8. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

Gibson SG Faded Reissue
    any Birdsong bass

I've had both and both are approppriate for small hands and short arms.

Fender Jazz basses also have very small necks which are normal scale

9. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

This.

I don't have the world's biggest hands but I get around large necks just fine.

10. SolidFooting

SolidFooting

I keep thinking about that tv commercial where the guy has small hands...

Anyway, this is a subject I've put some thought into. I have long fingers, and like fat necks. If our hands are different sizes, there should be ergonomic preferences. That's not to say you can't learn to play a larger neck, but I don't think you should have to.

Have you considered Warmoth?

11. rummy

rummy

Lots of practice. Your hand/fingers will stretch upon repetition.

12. Goatee220

Goatee220 Bassist/Goalie Ordinaire

This^ - but in the meantime any Ibanez SR series bass would work. The necks are super thin and fast.

13. Twenty2AcaciaAv

Twenty2AcaciaAv

My Ibanez GSR doesn't seem to have a thin neck.

14. tbirddad

tbirddad

I have small hands and have no problem with my Music Man Sting Ray, but a Fender Mustang bass is also a good one - used by Bill Wyman (Rolling Stones) for years and years because he said his hands were too small for the Fender P.

15. Relayer71

Relayer71

While I agree that it shouldn't matter and with proper technique you should be able to play any bass, I really think there's merit to this:

16. dalahorse

dalahorse

The Stiletto Customs come with jumbo frets from the factory. (I have one, too.) So you should be used to them already. I don't know if the Stilettos and Stargazers have similar necks, though. I don't suppose there's one you could try out at a store nearby? If not, give Schecter's customer service a call. They'll get back to you pretty quick (same day, unless you call really late) and answer all of your questions.

17. spade2you

spade2you

Practice makes perfect or permanent.

18. darkstorm

darkstorm

Ibanez SR basses have nice slim necks. ESP Ltd B and F series also. Another schecter would also be good choice since you like the one you have.

19. Twenty2AcaciaAv

Twenty2AcaciaAv

The confusion is "jumbo". I didn't knwo that the Stilletto Custom have "jumbo frets". What's jumbo about them?

20. dalahorse

dalahorse

Jumbo is a measurement of the fret wire. I suppose the crowns of the frets are little bit taller and wider compared to normal. As I'm not a bass builder or tech, I have no idea what normal would be for a bass. Perhaps jumbo is normal? Dunno...

I found this link with a quick google search: Fretwire chart

Anyway - If you like the frets on your Stiletto, you'll probably like the frets on the Stargazer as they should be the same. It really wouldn't hurt to call Schecter's customer support. They can put you on the phone with one of the techs that can give you exact specifications and explanations. Their number is 800-660-6621.

21. Twenty2AcaciaAv

Twenty2AcaciaAv

Well that exlains why the low action on it is so nice:p