What's a good dubby..fat..thick...pedal for me?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mmbongo, Jan 20, 2014.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Need some advice as I'm not sure exactly what I want.

I think I'm at a crossroads with my Octave pedal. I've had Octave pedals since the first day I've had pedals, yet I've never been happy with using them.

I use my Octave pedal on songs like Billie Jean or Purple Rain to give a fat, somewhat synthy sound. Purple Rain is always a chore because of the long sustained notes. The Octave just drops out. I go back and listen to our recordings and those sounds just sound like crap to me.

I think I'd be better off just getting a different pedal more suited for that sound, something that strips highs and boosts lows I guess. Heck I don't know. What would be good for those songs? Something that does not rely on tracking.

Something smallish with top jacks is a huge plus :)

2. ReiPsaeg

ReiPsaeg

3. mmbongo

Seems too simple :) I thought about that though. Seems like I would want to add..something..to the sound though for those sounds. The Octave pedal added the girth but also another layer of sound from the original signal. I just don't know exactly what I want, as I'm not sure what all is out there!

4. mmbongo

Maybe I should ask this...if you cover songs like this and do something special to your tone for them, what do you do?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MattZilla

MattZilla

Media:
    Albums:
    I have an eleca black hurricane- straight copy of ehx octave multiplexor- its wet signal is compressed just a touch and the low octave then sustains a noticable bit longer than the dry note. My stock eb-3's notes sustain half as long as my lq ba II loaded jazz. Maybe try some different basses through your rig?

7. theguy155

theguy155

ive got a b2 zoom pedal, its an all in one and works incredibly well

check it out

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/b21u

i like to play really dubby stuff too and its got some great settings for that

no real eq though

8. theguy155

theguy155

the other pedal i would consider would be the bass pedals that source audio makes

they make some sick ****

9. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Low pass filter... like this one will get you into the thick dub zone. In fact it's an essential component for my dub work.

Attached Files:

10. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word Supporting Member

Either a Filter or a EQ works for me. The B7K takes my sound from flat to FAT with the Blend and Drive barely turned up. If you don't want any drive at all the Empress Para EQ is AMAZING. As far as filters go, there are many great filters to choose from. I'm looking into the Wonderlove or Manta right now but the choices are endless!!

If you'd like to replace your Octave pedal, I think the hands down winner right now is the Subterranea. When the Pitch Bay comes out we might have to reevaluate...

11. silence.speaks

silence.speaks

Aphex Xciter Big Bottom, the old style has jacks on the top.

12. Swift713

Swift713

Have you tried the micro POG? It tracks and sustains perfectly. It doesn't have the synthy quality of an analog octave so it's a little bland on its own but with a little filter and/or dirt, chorus, etc it's pretty cool.

13. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Feeding a fuzz into a Whammy will come up with some cool sounds that seem to hang around.

Not sure this is what you want but....

14. mmbongo

I have, but I thought about getting another one as I didn't like the sound of it but never tried it with other pedals. It goes completely against my 'small pedal with top jacks' preference though.

15. mmbongo

This one sounds interesting (Xerograph) Does it add anything or is it just a crossover? I'll be researching it.

16. knumbskull

knumbskull

DOD FX25 will get you there for cheap. No top jacks though.

17. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Xerograph all the way. I've never heard anything get as fat as that pedal can.

18. Lo-E

Lo-E

All I've ever done when I needed to get a tone like that for just a song or two is to turn up the bass a little (if it's an active bass) and play closer to the neck. I know that's not nearly as much fun as a pedal, but it's always gotten the job done for me. Short of that, it seems to me that the EQ pedal idea is the way to go.

19. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

I cover both of those songs from time to time and never add anything, but I see what you are saying with the sustain thing. I would think a LPF or anything with an envelope would "time out" on the sustained notes much like the problem you are having with the octave pedal. This doesn't fit your form factor, but the Zoom MS-60b would have the tools for you. Lots of different options and combinations to piece together a sound that works to your taste. The octave options are solid, and you can add on various EQs or filter effects to give some character.

20. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

A static LPF does not have an envelope and has as much sustain as your bass would normally.

21. lefty007

lefty007 Supporting Member

http://www.manticeffects.com/products/density-hulk

Or an EQ pedal. Bump 50 hz and below generously, cut the highs, and you are there.

And obviously all this depends on your amp . . . don't expect any dub from a 12" combo amp. . . ;)

Last dub band I saw, the bass player had a Gibson SG bass strung with flats, and he had two 18" cabs going. Made me smile.