what's a good price on a used ampeg svt cl? and will it go well with a sunn 2000s cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by icke2433, Dec 13, 2013.

1. icke2433

icke2433 Supporting Member

I have a local on craigslist who is offering an ampeg svt cl for 900
    he says that it was just retubed as well as serviced so it should be a-ok to go is this a decent price?
    I have been on a quest for a good tube amp to run with my sunn 2000s 2x15 cab loaded with k-140s will this help to fulfill my quest? I've always been a sucker for svt's with the 8x10 matching cab and have had the pleasure of playing a few of them cranked up. Will the 2x15's go with it just as well?
  2. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

Depending on your city, $900 is standard to high for a USA CL. $800 is a good deal in Los Angeles for a good working USA CL.
  3. icke2433

Awesome Im going to attempt to talk him down, thanks!
  4. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

I see SVT's in the 800 to 1200 range fairly often. 900 for one that has been recently serviced is a pretty good deal (See reciept to be sure) Tubes and service on these things can go in the 400 to 600 range alone. Don't know if the 2000s cab will be enough to handle it but as long as you don't push the cab too hard , it will sound pretty good. 8 10's can be had in the 400 to 600 range in my area. (central Md.) Don't wait to pick it up. At that price , I don't think it will last long. If you do get it , READ the manual before you plug it in. You can do some serious and expensive damage to it if you do a couple things wrong when you fire it up. Make absolutly sure you have the correct ohm load speakers hooked up before you turn it on.
  5. icke2433

The jbls should be able to handle 300 watts no prob, and as long as I keep it to a four ohm load I shouldn't kill anything right?
  6. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    I have run a pair of K140's in the late seventies in a Marshall copy of a JBL 4530 scoop cab, with my old Blue line SVT the original SVT8x10 got burnt in a garage fire:-(
    My report? it was absolutely A1 awesome:hyper: still got the old K140s they are still in use as part of my rehearsal pa.
    the old Marshall cab had to go though far too big and unwieldy.
    Don't really know what the SVT freshly retubed/serviced prices are like where you are.:bassist:
  7. icke2433

Oh man you guys are getting me excited! i am checking it out in a few hours
  8. icke2433

Picked it up, it is massive! Ended up getting it for 750
  9. kdogg

kdogg

That's a steal! Good job and enjoy!
  10. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy Registered abUser Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    $750, recently serviced and retubed? HELL yes, you did great on that one. You bought into it with equity... if you ever decide to get rid of it, you'll get back every penny and then some.
    Enjoy that thing!
  11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Really? You can buy a new one from several online sites for $300 more. Even GC has them on their website for $1,299 and you can usually get them to reduce the price. Not a great deal in my opinion. Not bad but definitely not a steal.
  12. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

Huh? The 1299 at GC is a restock. Reg price is 1799. Even 20% off would be 1440. They are asking 1000 for used ones.
  13. David Hayes

David Hayes Guest

$750+$300=$1050

Never seen a new CL go for anywhere near that. Give me a link and I'll buy three right now.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    $750 is pretty awesome if you ask me.
  15. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

+1.

$750 is about as low as I have seen hem lately. Usually $900.
  16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

If it is American you got a steal, if it is Nampeg you got a solid price. I have seen a Nampeg struggle to sell for $850 in a road case, the seller presumably took less than that after a couple months since it went somewhere. I have not seen an American one sell under $900 but I would imagine they do in larger markets.

The re-tube is a big savings though as the cheapest that will get done with a tech bill is a couple hundred bucks. Did you get a receipt for a clean bill of health?
  17. icke2433

I did not, but he was actually a musician that I have met and hung out with before. The band he plays with are one of the more professional bands in my town and the head is in immaculate condition with the exception of a few scratches on the faceplate. I had been shopping around and this was easily the cheapest I've seen one go without having to drive a thousand miles to somewhere, how can you tell where it was made?
  18. icke2433

nvm made in korea
  19. David Hayes

David Hayes Guest

Dude in another thread linked one without the original tranny for $600. People seemed to think it was a good deal. Personally, a replacement tranny is a deal breaker for me, but....
  20. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

why would anyone sell an SVT?:D