Whats a good substitute for a GK MB150?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jebo, Mar 12, 2014.

1. jebo

jebo

Im getting a bit sick of the inconsistent sounds Im getting from my GK MB150. What are some good alternatives for small combos that are upright/electric bass friendly? Ive never been much of a mark bass fan, but Im thinking of giving the mini CMD 121P a try...
  2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

While your GK is a very reliable, DB combo (I had both it's predecessors, the 200MB series I, and series 2) there are amps with better EQ sections. It's unfortunate that the Genz Benz shuttles are no longer being manufactured, because that was a good choice for doubling. I liked the Mark Bass Big Bang for doubling, but you'd have to get a separate cab, to go with it. From all accounts the Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 is a good choice. You should also take a look at the new Flex System from Acoustic Image, because they've re voiced their pre amp.

Ric
  3. jebo

jebo

Im looking for a combo comparable in size and weight to the GK MB. If it was good for doubling that would be a bonus... im thinking about the Mark Bass mini CMD 121P but its pretty expensive and its a bit bigger & heavier than the GK I believe...
  4. B String

B String Supporting Member

"If" the 121P combo is heavier, its only by a pound or so. I have both. With a little bit of external eq, it works very well with both basses. You can usually find the MB 121P used at a substancial savings.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. loopee

loopee Gold Supporting Member

the difference between the GK and the MB is 4-5 lbs
    I've had both
  7. youngheo

youngheo Supporting Member

8. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

Like Rick says it's too bad the brain trust at Fender discontinued Genz Benz. A Shuttle 3.0-10T would be on the short list of modern replacements for a GK MB150.

With the vast array of class D heads available I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the idea of a micro head/cab combo. It gives you so many more options with no great sacrifice of portability. An Aguilar TH350 with an EA Wizzy 10 cab would be a formidable doubling rig.

Curious about what exactly you mean by inconsistency from your MB150? Those are sealed cabs and the seals do fail in them sometimes. This can produce weird tonal things and rattles you can never track down.
  9. walkin

walkin

PJB Briefcase/Suitcase
  10. neddyrow

neddyrow

I use an ampeg micro VR for both DB and BG and am pretty happy with it for both. It's not a combo but light, easy to transport and decent power. Something to look at maybe.
  11. tmntfan

tmntfan

although they might be on the way out the old SWR baby blue and newer spellbinder blue are good for doubling.
  12. Robert Strickland

Robert Strickland Supporting Member

I own both the GK MB150 and the Markbass CMD 121P now....I use both of them depending on power needed and the room. The markbass is a little heavier, but also a bigger cab - a little bulkier to carry.

I don't know of a combo that is comparable in dimensions and weight to the GK, and also has as good a sound. I think you'd have to go to a separate head/cab arrangement. The EA doubler, combined with any number of nice, small boutique cabs is another great choice. But if your skiddish about the Markbass price....this alternative would be even more.

A word on "inconsistency" - my experience is that this is an issue with all bass amps, with either electric or upright, and even more of an issue with double bass. No matter what amp I use, it sounds different - sometimes VERY different - in different rooms, and that is truly frustrating. However, it is, in my experience, a problem endemic to double bassists using amplifiers, and can't really be solved no matter what amp one buys.
  13. thmsjordan

thmsjordan

+1
    ..and quite correct. The beloved older MB150's were made with a welded aluminium case and these would eventually start coming apart with heavy use. The Newer MB 150's come with a case that is one piece - apparently molded that way from the get go. Not sure what year they actually changed this but I do know they fixed the power supply issues on these around 2002 or so by switching to a larger transformer that came out of the bottom of the upper case and protruded into the speaker cabinet, with no apparent ill effect on the sound.. Case issues were fixed at some point after this, though again - not sure what year.

Also +1 on the Genz Benz 3.0 - lovin mine.