1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What's an orchestral audition like?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by Peder Waern, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Peder Waern

Peder Waern

Couldn't really find this info....as a jazzer I'm curious what the classical audition situation is like. I understand you are usually required to play a solo as well as excerpts from symphonies etc.
    Do you play behind a screen usually? Not allowed to talk, or anything to reveal who you are?

Please enlighten me... :)

2. boethius

boethius

I think it depends on the audition. I have had to usually play 3 orchestral section examples, 1 whole note big deep arco tone example, 1 rhythmic arco section with potentially a few measures of pizz, and 1 more technical phrasing section. Some have asked for solos, some haven't. They usually are looking for the big Mittenwald tone (although I don't own anything close), and your ability to project as well as transition smoothly. Then again, I have only played in community orchestra and theatre settings which are smaller and not on the same level as the NY Philharmonic, etc.
    Either way, relax, have fun and enjoy playing...that usually comes through really well in your music, just like being tense, nervous and tight will as well.
    Good luck!

3. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

It depends on what you're auditioning for, but it could be anything from just a solo, to a solo and a few excerpts, and maybe some scales and an etude.

Or, if you have a few college degrees under your belt, and you're aiming for a major orchestra job it could be this-

http://www.bso.org/media/5307895/section_bass_repertoire.pdf

4. Peder Waern

Peder Waern

Thanks guys, not really aiming for an orchestra job, just curious! I mean could you describe the actual audition playing situation. Are you given instructions from the jury on the other side of the screen? Is it really possible to keep it "anonymous"?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

You are asking specifically for professional orchestral auditions, yes?

7. Peder Waern

Peder Waern

Yeah, professional orchestra (symphony, opera etc.) :)

8. mattgray

mattgray

There's only one way to find out...

9. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

It's just like the first round of American Idol.

10. ILIA

ILIA

11. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

Pehaps he is lucky enough to not have American Idol or it's equivalent in his home country...:hyper:

12. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Not to get off topic, but as an aside, has anyone actually ever thought that it's really a good idea (at least for bassists) to practice for 10+ hours a day?

13. A Spotless Mind

A Spotless Mind

It'd be nice, but I don't think my body or mind could handle it.

14. ThumpPlunkJunk

ThumpPlunkJunk

I haven't, and nobody I've talked to has ever suggested practicing that much. Not even violinists. The maximum I've found is around four to six hours--practicing for ten hours a day seems detrimental, to me.

15. ILIA

ILIA

I forgot about this classic:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=445427903289

As for practicing too much. . . . it's never too much practice as long as it's the right kind of practice. I, myself, would find it difficult to do the right kind of practice over more than 3 hours, not including breaks.

16. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

That's a funny one-
    "My sixteenth notes sounded like machine guns!"

In terms of the time- I agree. Every teacher I've ever worked with has agreed on the 4 hours as being the most productive maximum amount of time to practice a day

17. Blakewdm

Blakewdm

During prep I do 4-5 hours, and that's about what Fora was doing, and Rex for the NY audition...but that's with a sizable list to prepare...with a smaller list, less work could be acceptable

18. rogue4

rogue4

If anyone practices more than 4 hours, they are probably dicking around. If you can't clean up an excerpt in 10 minutes time, not saying it needs to be perfect, but must improve, you aren't up to the level. You should probably be in top shape at least three weeks before the audition. if not, you're betting on luck and not confidence. People say luck plays the only role but that's not true. Luck is when opportunity meets preparedness.

19. mattgray

mattgray

huh?

:bag:

20. Andrew McGregor

Andrew McGregor

He's saying, if you can't make discernible progress on something in 10 minutes, you're wasting your time.

He's right. And given that you can't really think about more than 20-odd such passages in a day, you're running into diminishing returns at about 2 hours. You do sometimes need to play a bit longer to get the physical conditioning.

21. rogue4

rogue4

I agree with your physical conditioning comment. Running through excerpts several times can be a good thing, especially if you're playing along with a recording.