1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What's better for a defret?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by AudioDwebe, Dec 23, 2013.

1. AudioDwebe

AudioDwebe Supporting Member

Thinking of getting one of my basses defretted. There are two somewhat local luthiers/techs (one quite famous the other not so much but has 30 years of experience). The prices are comparable.

One uses maple wood to fill the slots and the other uses some sort of plastic compound. One says he prefers the wood (maple) as it ages well. The other likes plastic because it isn't affected by the seasons.

So...what do you think? BTW, the neck is ebony, if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Mamoru

2. davens

davens

Just quoting Alembic here:

"For a lined fretless, we inlay maple fretlines for our lined fretless basses. If you want a lower contrast wood for the lines, we suggest koa. Lots of other companies use plastic for fretlines, but you wind up with little fret-like ridges as the wood shrinks and the plastic doesn’t."
    http://www.alembic.com/info/custom_options.html

I think you'd want something that _is_ affected by the seasons.

3. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    The plastic fretlines in mine are still flush, 20+ years later.

4. Lo-E

Lo-E

Personally, I prefer wood, but I don't think it's really going to be a big issue either way.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Plastic and wood should both wear about the same rate. Styrene will be more visible. Go with your personal preference.

7. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

White, tan, reddish, purple, brown or black. The color you want your lines to be will dictate the best material for the job. ;)