Whats better Ibanez Premium bass or Some of the Carvin bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by campbems, Jan 27, 2014.

1. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

I have never played a Carvin Icon or the SB5000 but the look intrigues me. I have around 1000 to spend on a good used but don't know i I should buy the Ibanez Premium 1405 or one of the Carvins. What would be a better buy?
  2. therhodeo

therhodeo

$1000 will get you alot of bass on the used market. What type of music you do you play? What about those 2 options draw you to them? Are you open to anything else? What do you play now?
  3. campbems

I play praise and worship christian music in a band. I currently play a Music Man Stingray and I love it but can't afford another new one. I like the looks of the newer custom carvin bass and I like the electronics of the new Premium Ibanez bass.
  4. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

That's a tough choice - I could go either way depending on the model, but I'd probably go with the Ibby ... because of the neck profile, pickups/electronics, and body aesthetics (I'm also an Ibby guy). The Carvins' have some super nice finishes, but not the greatest resale value, however - I personally love the look of the Bromberg.

Both have excellent QC.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. therhodeo

therhodeo

If you're buying used carvins resale plays in your favor.
  7. campbems

Yeah when looking through the archives I've seen a few used Carvins that really caught my eye for a decent price but unfortunately they're sold already. May wait a couple weeks to see what comes available.
  8. LightGroove

LightGroove

There are a ton of options in your price range..especially used.. MTD kz. Lakland 5501\5502..another stingray. Dig around..
  9. Warmuth

Warmuth Supporting Member

For 1000.00(700ish used) the Ibanez is as good as anything you can buy. Really, at that price point they're all going to be good instruments but I'll take a premium over every bass I've ever set my hands on.
  10. campbems

I agree but I have to rely on videos and others opinions and research to form my opinion because the music shops within 50-60 miles only carry low end bass. So I can't put my hands on it. I'm gonna take some time and see what becomes available.
  11. javadog

javadog Supporting Member

Dude I just looked on Ebay, there is a new Ibanez 1605 with free shipping for $899. It has a couple of cosmetic dings but
    if I was in the market I would look at it seriously. I thought about buying it myself but I just got another bass recently.
    Do you prefer a more narrow string spacing? That would favor the Ibanez line. If at all possible I would try to get to
    listen to the bass before buying it, or at least go to a store somewhere and listen to something with at least the same pickups if possible. This is a problem with the Carvins unless you live somewhere in the southwest, or perhaps a big city with a lot of used instruments. I was thinking about buying a Carvin last year but couldn't do it because I can't say I have even heard one. They look great though, people love them, and many of the used ones are very reasonably priced. Good luck.
  12. campbems

I'm really digging that Ibby 1405 with the Nordy's. It would be hard to beat. I can get one new on sale for a 1000. Would love to play one first.
  13. campbems

I'll check it out. Thanks man.
  14. Warmuth

Warmuth Supporting Member

They play like every other SR, there's not much difference in feel between an SR300 and an SR5000. If you love it, you love it, if not..... The 1400 imo is the best sounding bass in the entire line of SR's and the best sounding bass I've ever owned overall. I remember GC carried them back when they were introduced but I havent seen one in a music store for a while.
  15. Root 5

Root 5

I think Carvin kills Ibanez in the quality department.
  16. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

I had an Ibanez 1205 and it was amazing! The Nordstrand Big Singles are fantastic. I can't say enough good things about that bass. The only reason I sold it was I found that short scale basses were more my style.
  17. eban3

eban3 Supporting Member

the 1405 has the nordy big singles in it , i had one for a few months didint like the sound of it at all not enough sustain if yr going to buy a Ibanez sr get one with Bartolini's ,just my experience ..as for Carvin although well made they play like pencil neck toys to me ...you can get a lot of bass for 1k especially used and probably more versatile than either of those 2
  18. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

19. campbems

Thanks for the heads up on that Ibanez Premium 1605. I bought it last night. Excited about getting since I've had my eye on these for at,east a year.
  20. javadog

Actually that is a different bass than yesterday! They are both being sold by maggio-music in Brooklyn. The bass from yesterday was a 1605 which sold for $899. Maggio said the list price was $1800 but you see it advertised on Ebay for $1350. The link you posted is for a 1205 priced at $799.
    Maggio says the list price for that one is $1600 but you see it advertised on Ebay for $1150. The 1205 is still a good deal at $799, I have just always liked the 1605 mahogany body with poplar burl top. I have yet to see the 1805 other than the Ibanez 2014 catalog. This development means, at least to me, that the Carvins are back in play. Can you tell that I like this game?
  21. javadog

I did not see your post that you were the buyer! Look at the time stamps they are exactly the same. I think you are going to LOVE that bass. Put up some pictures and tell us about it when it arrives. Congratulations, man. Well done.