1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What's great about the 'Badass' bridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by aasti3000, Feb 6, 2013.

1. aasti3000

aasti3000 Supporting Member

Okay, before I see the sarcastic comments, please remember I'm a newbie bass player. I have a Fender Precision deluxe 5 string with the stock bridge. But most of the Fender threads I see I notice bassists switch their bridge to a badass bridge which I remember was on my Marcus Miller.

Can someone explain what's great about the Badass bridge? Or even one I think I read called a Hipshot bridge? I'm still trying to learn the technical aspects of a bass. You guys sound like NASA experts sometimes with your technical knowledge. Should I change the bridge on my bass? Will it make a difference in sound or something?
  2. bobm2112

bobm2112 Supporting Member

A lot of people claim they can hear a difference in tone when they switch to a high mass bridge such as the Bad Ass. I call BS on that claim. The only reason why I switched to a BA2 on 75 RI is because it looked cooler.

There will be people running around telling you that everything from paint to a bridge to pick guard material can and will effect tone. Hello McFly?? Im sorry to say this is not the truth.

I am no expert and what I say can be taken with a grain of salt. I just comment on what I personally witnessed :)
  3. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

nah you don't have to replace your bridge. the only reason to do that is if there's something wrong with the one you have. a lot of us TBer's are gearheads - aftermarket parts are kind of a hobby in and of themselves. reading about all the different parts people swap into their basses can make you feel like you need them too. but generally unless you're disappointed with a specific aspect of your bass's performance, you're probably fine with the stock parts.
  4. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

I would venture to say that the bridge on your Deluxe Precision is just fine.

That being said, I really dig the BAII bridge on my AV'75 Jazz, but I like the stock Fender bridge on my AV'62 fretless Jazz.

I like the extra mass/weight that the BAII brings; it gives me a more 'solid' feel than the stock bridge.

It all comes to personal preference, but I would say that if your bass plays and feels good, there's no need to start changing out parts.
  5. unclebass

unclebass

I found a thread a while back full of bass players that had badass, hipshot, and other hi-mass bridges, and removed them and reinstalled their original fender bridges. There must be a reason that fender has not changed the design of their bridges on the majority of their basses for over 50 years. I really wanted to replace mine, high sustain and coolness the main reason. After reading the countless comments on that thread, I leave what comes on my bass on my bass. Other than strings and perhaps a prettier pickguard, I am not smarter than the designers and manufacturers(just speaking for myself).
  6. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

use the search function and you will see endless topics on this. some say they're great, some say they aren't worth it. my advice, similar to the others, would be "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
  7. -=DanAtkinson=-

-=DanAtkinson=- Supporting Member

I've tried almost every bridge design on the market, and nothing sounds as good to me as the vintage Fender bridge.
  8. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

Gotta agree. I have three BA bridges in my music room that, at one time, I had on basses. Frankly, I see no big deal to them. In fact, I prefer the Fender bridge to the BA all day, every day and twice on Sunday.
  9. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

+1000000
  10. SpectorDetector

SpectorDetector

I just took a BAII off my Geddy Lee and put on the grooved saddle stock Fender I took off my 50's P-Bass a few years back. I have switched back and forth between the two at least 3 times in the past month and I am leaving the Fender on.
  11. chump stain

chump stain

I've had my stock bridge bend, from the tension of flat wounds. The Badass II on my Geddy lets me drop my action real low, and it's beefy. So, if your stock bridge fails, or doesn't give you the adjust-ability you need, then a Badass is a good bridge to have.
  12. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

It's name. BADASS. How could that not be awesome?

Other than that, probably not much. Not that I would know, but if Dan Atkinson has put them to the test, I'm not going to argue with him.:bassist:
  13. SpectorDetector

SpectorDetector

On my Geddy the opposite is true as far as action goes, G string goes closer to the fretboard with the Fender.
  14. aasti3000

Okay. So it sounds like my stock bridge is cool. Can I bug you with one more question. What do you mean by "High Mass" bridge? Just so I have the knowledge.
  15. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

well,, for me the GREAT thing about the badass bridge is, every single time i get a bass that has one mounted to it, i pull it & some sucker here at TB gladly gives me $60.+ for it :D
  16. klaus486

klaus486

Disclosures:
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    The BAII has much longer intonation adjustment than the stock Fender bridge and ZERO side to side play of the saddles. The stock bridge works fine 99% of the time. I like the stability, adjustability and what I think is enhanced sustain provided by the Badass products. Most other hi mass bridges will accomplish the same thing.
  17. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

hi mass just means chunkier, heavier bridge. that's it, more or less.....
  18. aasti3000

LOL!
  19. aasti3000

Thanks for the clarification Matt. ;)
  20. mcm

mcm

Bridges are way overrated. They really don't do much other than attach strings.
    Most legendary albums were recorded on stock bridges or the old 2 saddle bridges that dont even intonate correctly.