What's in your rack?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kmay, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Kmay

Kmay

Hey guys, I have searched this and found some similar threads but not what I am looking for, so here we go!

What is in your rack (or pedal board) and why?
    The reason:
    I am working on building what will be my first "dream rig" (yes, I know it won't last, GAS will over come, Lol!).
    Anyway, I have looked at every ones rigs on here and am most fascinated with the rack stuff. I am not concerned with the amps and cabs. It's the other things (ie: sonic maximizers, processors, buffers, etc). It's hard for me to list examples because I have no idea what you guys have behind all the damn lights flashing at the camera, Lol!
    So, educate me. What do you have, what does it do, how important is it to "your" tone and why and...where is it in your signal chain?
    Thanks a bunch guys!

2. Mykk

Mykk

I had a Power supply, Tuner, Ampeg SVT-IIP preamp, BBE 382i, Crest Vs1500:

[​IMG]

The crest died and in a last minute rush on the way to a show and I picked up a Behringer Nu6000. The Nu6000 worked great. sounded good and was plenty loud so I kept playing it for a while (and I appreciate the light weight class D amp). After a bit I picked up a Mesa M-2000 in a beautiful custom built housing, I tried the BBE 382i in the effects loop of the Mesa and I didn't like the way it sounded. So I moved my rack around, changed things up.

Now I have the M-2000 on top of the Power supply, Tuner and Nu6000. The instrument goes to the Mesa input, tuner out goes to tuner. The out from the tuner goes to a Eden WTDI that gets run back into the M-2000 effects loop return set to 50% blend. The XLR out of the mesa (set to "post") runs into the Nu6000. The Mesa head powers the Mesa 2x15" cab and the Nu6000 powers the Fender pro 8x10"

[​IMG]

3. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

I'm running a Furman M-8LX, Korg DTR 2000, 2 Sansamp RBI's (one clean, one dirty) and a Crest Prolite 2.0 Poweramp. Killer setup, never been happier with a rig!

[​IMG]

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have 2 racks. One has my SVT 6 Pro. The other has a Power conditioner, Sennheiser wireless and a Korg Tuner.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kmay

Kmay

Sweet guys! I also have the sans amp. I only have one though...how do you switch between them? Just am a/b switch on your input?

I am also looking into power amps to power the sans amps. Lol! Thank you guys a bunch!

I also had a bbe sonic maximizer once, it wasn't that I didn't like it as much as I couldn't tell the difference in it if it was on or off, so I just sold it.

7. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

Both are on all of the time. I have the dirty one set volume wise a little higher on the sansamp but run the channel a bit lower then the clean channel on the power amp. This allows me to keep my fat lows running the clean channel and keep a nice gritty tone at the same time.

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Mesa M-pulse 600, Krog DTR-2000 tuner, XDR-95 wireless receiver, with a Belkin surge strip in the back - does everything I need, and then some:

[​IMG]

9. thumbstruck

thumbstruck

Avalon 737 into a Crest CA6. Makes me grin whenever I fire it up. When the rack case arrives, I'll probably throw in my wireless, and a Monster Pro 2500 that I've got laying around.

Attached Files:

10. Kmay

Kmay

How is the Avalon? I have considered it...mainly the u5. I want a solid compressor...rack mounted one...also, the power amp too? Been looking into those recently...

11. thumbstruck

thumbstruck

I love it. My tech uses a U5, and he says he won't go back to traditional bass amp heads/pres. The U5 is quite a bit more affordable too. I'm not running the compressor very hard, with a fast attack. My EQ is set subtly, but there's a lot of room in there to tailor the sound if you're in a weird room.

The sound sort of blooms, it's thick. Before I took the 737 out of the studio rack, I was considering a pre running into my Empirical Labs Distressor. It's a really solid compressor. I really love that thing on bass. Some people might say that good studio gear shouldn't be in a live rig, but the risk of banging up nice gear is worth getting an inspiring tone every time I plug in.

Got the Crest recently, after reading some praise for it on the forum. It's a solid piece of gear. I am curious about Crest's Pro-lite series though.

12. Kmay

Kmay

Cool. Yeah, I'll definitely add the u5 in the future...but I'll just have to play with a pre that isn't necessarily "designed" for bass. I never have. I use the cliche di's myself. Sans amp, Aguilar, markbass, etc.

13. Kmay

Kmay

Just looked up the distressor. I may be in board for that thing. It says it can emulate the dbx160...which I had the chance to play and I loved it!

14. thumbstruck

thumbstruck

It's a really cool comp. Subtle adjustments can make a big difference, so lots of sounds are possible.

15. darren051234

darren051234

humm..... i run digidesign eleven rack.....
    well i am a full time guitarist and part time bassist

16. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Add a micro thumpinator or Fdeck HPF.

17. Kmay

Kmay

^^^^^^^^^
    I have no idea what those things are! Lol

18. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Do a quick search - lots of threads about them. They are high pass filters.

19. RDT

RDT

Current rig:

Furman conditioner
    AKG wireless (bass)/Audio-Technica wireless (IEM's)
    Korg DT1 tuner
    BBE MaxCom
    Genz-Benz ShuttleMax 12.0

20. Monotheist

Monotheist

How do you switch from your clean to dirty?