1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What's In Your Setlist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alrod, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Alrod

Alrod

Hey there,
    I am getting back together with some guys I used to play with years ago. None of us has gigged regularly for a long long time. We are wanting to put a show together for friends, family, and maybe play some local clubs. We all have day jobs, so this is for fun, but we are all anal and pretty serious about our playing. We play as close to the original recordings as possible (no fake book stuff here)

What songs go over well in clubs these days? We are looking for R&B, Funk, and soul tunes to play. We have a drummer, guitar player, bass player, and singer. Having a hard time finding a really good keyboard player.

Sure I can look for a top 40 list somewhere, but I really want to here from people that are playing out live. What specific songs do people get excited over these day? Suggestions?

Thanks.
  2. Alrod

Alrod

So, is it that many reading this don't play out much, or its it too broad of a question?
  3. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

I would post in the band management section.
  4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Drummer friend of mine gave me some advice a decade ago that has been an absolute godsend in terms of being in demand for commercial club work. He said

"Learn every tune off the Millenium Funk Party album."

Check out this set list!
    1. Brick House - Commodores
    2. Love Rollercoaster - Ohio Players
    3. Dazz - Brick
    4. Tear The Roof Off This Sucker (Give Up The Funk) - Parliament
    5. Jungle Boogie - Kool & The Gang
    6. Tell Me Something Good - Rufus
    7. Serpentine Fire - Earth, Wind & Fire
    8. Pick Up The Pieces - AWB
    9. Play That Funky Music - Wild Cherry
    10. I'll Take You There - Staple Singers
    11. Do It ('Til You're Satisfied) - B.T. Express
    12. Superfly - Curtis Mayfield
    13. What Is Hip? - Tower Of Power
    14. Best Of My Love - Emotions
    15. Atomic Dog - George Clinton
    16. Slide - Slave
    17. Fantastic Voyage - Lakeside
    18. More Bounce To The Ounce-Part 1 - Zapp
    19. You Dropped A Bomb On Me - Gap Band
    20. Rapper's Delight - Sugarhill Gang

Any band that can throw that down is a non-stop party. And let me tell you, chicks dig it. :hyper: Seriously.
  5. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

It could be that this question is asked quite often. Do a search for "set list" in the title and you'll find about a hundred threads on the subject.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  6. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

We're an Allman Brothers tribute band. Enough said. :)