What's it worth??? Opinions on old Gibson eb3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nutz4Bass, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Nutz4Bass

Nutz4Bass

My first NEW bass guitar was a Gibson EB-3. I'm thinking it was purchased in 1971. I recall it having dual Humbuckers with a 3-position tone switch. I played it for about 5 years and then quit playing so I could move on to girls, sports, and more girls (what a mistake). I gave the bass to my Brother (who I think still has it) and have never seen or played it since.

My ?'s...what is your opinion of a 70's EB-3 ? Would that be a bass guitar most anyone would love OR hate? What do you suppose it to be worth if I could sell it? What does it compare with or resemble as far as TODAY'S bass guitars?

Thanks!

2. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

I had a 2012 Epiphone EB -3 as my first bass. Kept it for about a month and traded it on a new Squier VM telecaster bass. I absolutely loved the sound of the eb3 but the neck dive killed me. I knew I would struggle to learn, also struggling to keep the neck up. Plus I hated how high the action was, and how the bridge is known to pull out the inserts. The squier I was able to lower the action really low, and it was lighter than the eb3.

3. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Gibson now makes the short scale SG bass construction is very similar to a 60's EB3 though the controls are streamlined V/V/T and the neck pick up is redesigned and no where near as powerful or muddy. Epiphone makes a inexpensive ($299 MAP) long scale EB3, not a bad bass for the $ I have had several but I like my worn finish SG bass a lot better. As a side note I have owned 60's EB3s, 70's slot heads, and the thick bodied 70's long scale and short scale variants. I put a 60's mudbucker in my worn finish SG bass and it sounds for all the world like a 60's EB3. Oh yeah I'd go get that 70's EB3 back from your brother and rock it! Depending on condition it's worth about $1,200-$1,500 if it is a 70's EB3. If it is a 60's that's a whole 'nother matter.

4. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

I've played a couple of 70's EB-3's at a local vintage guitar store.

I love them. If I had the money I would buy one.

They were around $1800 - $2000 if I recall.

5. Register to disable this ad