1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What's it worth??? Opinions on old Gibson eb3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nutz4Bass, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Nutz4Bass

Nutz4Bass

My first NEW bass guitar was a Gibson EB-3. I'm thinking it was purchased in 1971. I recall it having dual Humbuckers with a 3-position tone switch. I played it for about 5 years and then quit playing so I could move on to girls, sports, and more girls (what a mistake). I gave the bass to my Brother (who I think still has it) and have never seen or played it since.

My ?'s...what is your opinion of a 70's EB-3 ? Would that be a bass guitar most anyone would love OR hate? What do you suppose it to be worth if I could sell it? What does it compare with or resemble as far as TODAY'S bass guitars?

Thanks!
  2. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

I had a 2012 Epiphone EB -3 as my first bass. Kept it for about a month and traded it on a new Squier VM telecaster bass. I absolutely loved the sound of the eb3 but the neck dive killed me. I knew I would struggle to learn, also struggling to keep the neck up. Plus I hated how high the action was, and how the bridge is known to pull out the inserts. The squier I was able to lower the action really low, and it was lighter than the eb3.
  3. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Gibson now makes the short scale SG bass construction is very similar to a 60's EB3 though the controls are streamlined V/V/T and the neck pick up is redesigned and no where near as powerful or muddy. Epiphone makes a inexpensive ($299 MAP) long scale EB3, not a bad bass for the $ I have had several but I like my worn finish SG bass a lot better. As a side note I have owned 60's EB3s, 70's slot heads, and the thick bodied 70's long scale and short scale variants. I put a 60's mudbucker in my worn finish SG bass and it sounds for all the world like a 60's EB3. Oh yeah I'd go get that 70's EB3 back from your brother and rock it! Depending on condition it's worth about $1,200-$1,500 if it is a 70's EB3. If it is a 60's that's a whole 'nother matter.
  4. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

I've played a couple of 70's EB-3's at a local vintage guitar store.

I love them. If I had the money I would buy one.

They were around $1800 - $2000 if I recall.