what's jpj playing 1979

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fnordlyone, Jan 5, 2014.

1. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

with a pick?
    :confused:

no body's fault but mine

fnord!
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

3. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

4. cdef

cdef

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fnordlyone

I'm asking a question, not making a point….
    I worship all things jpl and geek out whenever possible about his gear, therefore I want all TB geek info about said Wonder Bassist… :D
    f nor d!
  7. fnordlyone

8. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

You've got a lot of catching up to do with JPJ if you are just becoming aware of him playing 8 string basses.
  9. fnordlyone

Tell me about it. Until I started playing bass in April, I actually listened to the guitarist and drummer and sang along with the vocals. So many years wasted.
  10. pfox14

pfox14

Alembic Bruce Becvar 8 string Triple Omega
  11. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Whats wrong with a pick?
  12. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

I think the bass was purely a Becvar creation. Bruce Becvar worked for Alembic, then built his own stuff using their tools. As such, I think JPJ's instrument was only branded a Becvar. Apparently the neck is now pretty warped.

He definitely uses it during the concert recorded at the Seattle Kingdome in 1977. This gig was videotaped, and later leaked to fans with a fairly unmixed soundboard audio track. The bass is fairly tinny/clanky if I recall correctly. Definitely used on Achilles Last Stand.
  13. grrg63

grrg63

from the link cdef posted-

Does he use a pick? "Yes, when the situation demands it; on the eight-string it's awful messy with your fingers. On 'The Song Remains The Same', I use a pick to get that snap out of the instrument," John Paul Jones said in a July 1977 Steven Rosen interview.
  14. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

Here's a pic

http://www.led-zeppelin.org/images/gear/becvar8_02.png

"What was the first track he used it on in the studio? "I'd gone to Alembic and there was someone working for them who had an offshoot company called Becvar. He had this eight-string bass in Californian Gothic with palm trees, a mandala and other stuff. It sounded fantastic, like a big harpsichord/piano thing. And so when Page came out with the first riff of Achilles he said, 'What are we going to do with the rest of it?'' I said '8 string bass!' It fit perfectly," John Paul Jones said to Rikki Rooksby in a September 1999 Bassist Magazine interview.

Jones eventually settled on "a sort of sub-Alembic 8-string, which was actually a Becvar. It was built by a guy who was at Alembic and then left the company to start on his own. It's just an amazing creature--sort of Gothic Revival in style. Actually, it's more California Gothic, with a mandala on the back, with little mermaids, sea shells and palm trees inlaid. A very fine instrument. Very loud. The Riff King it was called. When Page first heard it, he said, 'Oh, no. I'm not playing to that!'" John Paul Jones said in a Guitar World interview."

...from here...

http://www.led-zeppelin.org/studio-and-live-gear/860