What's more important, the amp or the cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Shlogo, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Shlogo

Shlogo

Maybe this is a bad title, as both the amp and cab play a massive role in your overall tone.
    But I was wondering, if you were in my situation, which one would be top on your list.
    So what's my situation?
    I am unable to mix and match all possible amp/cab combinations (or at least a good portion) that I would like to try out before putting hundreds of dollars into it.

I was wondering if it would be smart to invest in a high quality cab and then bring that around with me to test out different amps (a smaller cab of course).
    Or if I should do the same but with an amp.

Anyone else do this?
    Any tips if i go this route?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

The interaction between the two are so important. If you feel strongly about one of the other get that piece first.

If size and transport are top concerns, I would start there first. Personally, I would start with the amp/preamp because the most common situation for me is using the DI. I seldom mic a cab in live situations.

If I'm using my rig to fill the room, cab is important, but power and EQ still win out for me.

YMMV
  3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The cab makes up at least 51% of your total sound. In other words it is the most important piece of equipment you buy.

I would start with two matching 8 Ohm 115's.
  4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

both are equally important
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JoeVictim

JoeVictim

Different cabs can react differently to the same amp.

I would find an amp with the features/watts you need, then take the amp around to find your cab. There's noting like trying xyz cab with brand x amp, and buying the cab based on how good it sounds, then getting a different amp and having different results with the cab you used to love. :meh:

Welcome to the world of GAS.
  7. YuppyPunk

YuppyPunk

When it comes to tone and volume the cab is more important. A great head through a cheap cab will sound lousy. Conversely, a cheap head will sound decent through a good cab.

True story. I run a GK Backline 600 which is concidered to be a decent low-end head. I was running it through a matching 410 and I always thought that I had a replace everything as I couldn't get a good tone or as much volume as I expected. A few months back I bought an Ashdown VS212 from a fellow TB'er and suddenly I had a nice sounding rig.
  8. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Cab is the most important link in the chain IMO.
  9. tdub0199

tdub0199

The Cab....
  10. nysbob

nysbob

It's easier to make a mediocre head sound acceptable through a good cab than vice versa, FWIW.
  11. mystic38

mystic38

no, its not smart to lug a cab (or two) around for a month...lol

i pick your option b) get a decent amp within your budget with the features you need... eq, DI ins /outs etc..then lug THAT around to try cabs..

12. sokolasty

sokolasty

In my opinion cabinet is more important. In general, according to my experience, amps are more or less transparent, and cabinets are very different one from another.
  13. bassboysam

bassboysam

14. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

The greatest amp in the world will sound like junk through a terrible cab - no matter what head you have, it will always sound bad. OTOH, while a terrible amp will sound bad through a great cab, the better the amp gets, the better it will sound.

Ergo, get a great cab and work your way up from there.
  15. Shlogo

Shlogo

Seems like the majority is leaning toward a cab, which is what I was thinking.
    Thanks for the input!

I was contemplating getting a avatar cab (if I had to buy blind) as they dont seem to get negative reviews...and the price is a plus.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Average bass + average amp + great cab = great

Great bass + great amp + average cab = average
  17. PWV

PWV Gold Supporting Member

Based on my experience - the cab.
  18. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

another vote for cab(s) first.
  19. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Hath the Netherworld frozen over? Are swine now airborn? A concensus in a TB thread! Happy New Year ;-)
  20. fkh006

fkh006

The OP is in Chicago, or so his profile states.
    There is absolutely no reason he cannot go hear whatever amp and cabinet he wants to before buying.
    That town has pretty much anything you want all easily accessible to audition.

Get off the computer and go look and compare.
    We cannot do this for you.
  21. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

I personally believe the Cab. Some others will say your bass...some might say your chord, I think some might say your power chord, others your strings and others the humidity in the air that night....

I would go with the cab you like and then ask for recomendations on a decent head to drive it.