1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

What's my band's style? (metal content...)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ajak, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Ajak

Ajak

Hey TB,

I play in a band that seems to be a bit unclassifiable when it comes to it's sub-genre. Some time ago we agreed on calling it Symphonic Black Metal but now we don't really find that to be true/accurate enough. What would the metalheads among you call us? (preferably with 3 words or less... ;))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynw1UX1vcaU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grwMpEnRQm0

I know it's getting more and more ridiculous with all those sub-genre names (especially in metal) and I'm drawing a target on my chest, but I'm really looking for some serious answers, so please keep the trolls to a minimum. :)

I'd appreciate some honest opinions.

cheers

2. BrBss

BrBss

Seems pretty accurate to me.

3. flam

flam

I'd call it symphonic black metal too.

4. Ajak

Ajak

Thanks for your answers guys. I'm glad to hear we weren't all that wrong. :p

When I think of Symphonic Black Metal I just have a different sound in my mind. Maybe it's all a bit to articulate and too rhythmic. And it doesn't really sound evil I think (maybe I've just heard it too often). And (what you probably can't know since they're in German) the lyrics aren't too provocative either.

What about Dark Metal (though I don't really have a clear image of that), Melodic Death Metal or Symphonic Death Metal? Not in-your-face-heavy enough? Not that I find these better but they seem as close as Symphonic Black Metal to our style IMO.

thoughts?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Does having a definitive genre (that you've probably made up trying to fit) have any impact on your band situation? Sub-genres are silly. All bands sound different, do they all need a sub-genre?

Just call it whatever you want and have the music let people know what you sound like.

7. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Does it have any impact? Id say, at least in this one sense... when people ask what kind of music your band plays.
    I like to sum my answer to that up in as few words as possible.

"What kind of music do you play"
    "Rock" Thats pretty ambiguous and gives no insight to the person asking.
    "Alternative 90s inspired rock" Narrows a person expectations and is more decriptive.

I have trouble defining my own bands sound. Id be happy to leave it at 'Rock', but then you get people asking for a more precise description.

8. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Just listened to the first one.

Aside from Maß being spelled with an ß ;) I couldn't really hear any death metal going on. If anything I'd call it Blackened Thrash with Keys lol. Definitely nothing Symphonic though.

9. Ajak

Ajak

I also used to have the attitude "we play what we play, let others figure out what it is". I don't like putting my own band in a drawer.
    But then again people want a closer description since metal has a wide variety of sounds. In my town there once was a concert with Motörhead as headliner and Epica as a support act. Yes, it both is metal but does this fit? Hell no!

The guy who did the flyer of our first gig just let the "symphonic" away. Now calling us Black Metal is definitely wrong. :eyebrow:

Yeah the first one isn't very symphonic, haven't really thought about the song in particular. I should have posted the second one first. Intresting nontheless. Haven't ever though about calling us Thrash lol.

That's kinda what I meant, Symphonic Black Metal isn't all wrong but there could be more suitable sub-genres. Keep it coming! :)

In Switzerland we don't use the ß. (I actually had to copy it from your quote because I can't find it on my keyboard :D) But I haven't thought about that, I'll bring that up sometime, maybe we'll change it.