1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What's old is new again!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BFunk, Jan 11, 2013.

1. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I recently changed amps. Previously, I was running a Thunderfunk 550B. Now I am running a Genz-Benz ShuttleMax 9.2. (Both are through a Fearful 15/6.) I wasn't too surprized that my pedals did not sound the same through the GB. But I was surprized just how much the sound changed. For example, my Catalinbread SFT sounded great through the TF. It was a nice creamy, tuby overdrive sound as you would expect. Through the GB is sounded boxy and muffled. I really wasn't expecting that at all. So I started looking at my small collection of overdrive pedals again. My Blackbox X-Ray bass overdrive, which never sounded that good on with any previous amp, sounds fantastic through the GB. It has a grittiness that is very similar to my Dredgetone Angler, but with the much emphasis in a much lower range. (The DA continues to rule for nasty, upper-mid forward grit and bite.) The Prunes and Custard which keep moving on and off my board never sounded better. (It may actually stay this time!) I am glad I hung onto these pedals. You never know when they are going to be just the thing you need.