1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What's on her fingers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bard2dbone, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

I just saw Ani DiFranco do a short guest-shot on the morning news program. They let her sing a song and promised to let her do another later. But while watching her play, I noticed all her right hand fingers had something black on them, all the way to, like the second knuckles. I know this has to be some kind of fingerpick, but I've never seen one so huge. How do you feel the strings? How do you even keep the things on? I'm thinking they look like a black 1 1/2"" sleeve on the end of each finger. She does have a very percussive attack, but simple fake nails would give her just as much.

I'm confused by this. Does anybody know what this product is? Are they worth it to try out? Or are they like the Tony Levin Funk Fingers I bought several years ago...great for Tony, useless for me.
  2. newdull

newdull

I know that a few years ago she used to wear fake nails on her right hand, and then she would use tape to help them stay on.

I think she is one of few truly orginal and amazing guitars player out there.
  3. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Ani has one of the most demanding and aggressive right hand techniques of any guitarist out there, except for Monty Montgomery.

She does use fake nails, but was known to rip them off with here fingerstyle playing. She has even been known to rip out her own nails catching them on the strings. The black stuff is electrical tape. She tapes up the fingers of her right hand, taping the nails down (she has been known to use this same technique with fingerpicks as well...)

She is a VERY good gtrist...with a remarkable amount of control for such a physical style of playing.

An amazing talent who deserves much wider recognition.

Max
  4. justaguyfromkc

justaguyfromkc

I was told that she dips her RH fingers in some sort of epoxy.
  5. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Wow now that's hardcore and I love her.
  6. mongo2

mongo2

A quick google image search shows that it appears to be electrical tape.