1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What's on my bass now?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 62Jazzbass, Dec 6, 2013.

1. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

A few months back I bought a used 78 fretless P-Bass. First time in 20 years with a fretless and having a blast with it.

I use TI flats on my Jazz bass and love the sound and feel. The fretless was/is strung with flats, but they are not TIs. Whatever is on there sound similar, and are only just a bit higher in tension. They don't sound real "thuddy", they are clear and expressive, articulate, respond really well to vibrato and buzz nicely off the rosewood fingerboard.

So I am wondering what these strings might be? They have black silks at the tuning end that go high up the string. In other words, the silks don't come all the way down to just above the nut, like the Roto RS 66LDs do (or at least used to on a Fender, been years since I used 'em). Interestingly, they have no silk at the ball end; first time I have seen that.

Any ideas?
  2. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Labella's? But i haven't played 'em... (yet ;))
  3. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

That's my guess.
  4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    If I could see the windings I can tell if La bella too. Need to see ball end area and tuning post area.

If bella should be super smooth. And measure 37" ball to silk
  5. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

Interesting. I'll try and snap a couple of pictures when I get home. They are "super smooth", so you guys might be in to something.

So, assuming they are LaBellas, how do they wear? I have had my TIs on my Jazz for 4 years Nd to me they sound the same as when I put them on.

What should I expect? If they tend to go really dead I'll likely want to replace them.
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    You should be able to have those strings on for a very long time just like your T-I's.
  7. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

8. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

9. 3234718

Labellas. Best flats even.
  10. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

So that's confirmation then.

Interesting, based on all the "flats" threads I have seen through the years, LaBellas are the last flats I would have expected to like. Let me restate that - the last ones I would have expected to like for the reasons I cited in my first post.

They don't strike me as that different from my TIs. Of course, the TIs are on a Jazz, and the LaBellas are on a P, and I have not personally worked with/played a P in over 20 years. Perhaps there are too many variables for real comparison.

Still itching to try some TIs on the fretless. Maybe I'll spring for a set, and then put the LaBellas on my Ric 4003 (!).
  11. 3234718

Best flats ever is what I meant to say.

I'm basically certain that's what they are, but slapinfunk is the expert.

I think they're 45-105's cuz different deep talkin flat gauges have different silk colors.

I've always preferred lighter gauges on fretless so the TI's could be a better fit.

I bet the labellas would be great on the fat ric neck.
  12. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    Them there be La bella
  13. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

Thanks for the confirmation. Can't decide if I'm going to keep em on or slap some TIs on there. I certainly like the way they sound, but I have enjoyed the TIs on my Jazz so much, i am curious about what they would bring to the fretless.